[pjw] EVENT: "War of Lies: Why Are US Troops Still in Iraq?" Tues 3/19 4 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Jan 28 19:04:10 EST 2019

Iraq Affinity Group supporters:

At our IAG meeting this month, we agreed to organize an event on the
(gulp) 16th anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq. We are attaching our
action to a weekly vigil that takes place at the east end of the Burnside
Bridge known as Stand for Peace and Justice. Details are below. The same
info is posted to our website here:

http://www.pjw.info/iraq16yl.html

We will update that page with a flyer when it is ready, and any additional
cosponsors (there is no cost to cosponsor this action).

Spread the word, and let us know if your group wants to sign on and help
promote the event!
dan handelman

Peace and Justice Works
  Iraq Affinity Group
  PO Box 42456
  Portland, OR 97242
  (503) 236-3065 (Office/text)
  iraq @ pjw.info
  http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

CALENDAR ITEM

For immediate release     January 28, 2019

EVENT: "War of Lies: Why Are US Troops Still in Iraq?"
Visibility action marking 16 years since the US Invasion
Tuesday, March 19, 2019
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
East end of the Burnside Bridge (Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd at Burnside)

On Tuesday, March 19 the Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is
teaming up with the weekly Stand for Peace and Justice event for a special
visibility action marking 16 years since the US invaded Iraq in 2003. The
action will be held from 4:00 until 5:30 PM* and will feature the "Tower
of Peace," a 12-foot-tall display which has been seen many times around
town since 2012.

The US invasion and occupation was based on the knowingly false
information presented by the George W Bush administration alleging that
Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction. After the invasion, no such
weapons were found. Similar lies about the alleged attack on a US naval
destroyer in the Gulf of Tonkin helped justify the Viet Nam war. The
current President is pushing a false narrative about migrants coming
across the Mexican border to try justifying spending some of the
military's $700 billion plus budget to build an unnecessary wall.

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis lost their lives both in the invasion and
the ensuing chaos, including under the Obama administration both prior to
most US troops being withdrawn in 2011 and in the war against ISIS waged
from 2014 until late last year. Airstrikes continue and the US has
indicated it will move the 2000 ground troops currently in Syria into
Iraq, which would bring the total close to 7500 in a country the US
supposedly left over seven years ago. Members of the Iraqi parliament have
asked the US to leave, particularly in the wake of President Trump's
surprise Christmas visit in which he did not meet with any Iraqi
officials.

For more information or to get involved contact the Peace and Justice
Works Iraq Affinity Group at 503-236-3065 (voice or text), or email
iraq at pjw.info .

*- note: Stand for Peace and Justice usually runs from 4:30 to 5:30 PM,
this will be a special extended action.