[pjw] INFO: Iran resolution at City Council Wed Nov 13, 3:30 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Fri Nov 8 13:28:51 EST 2019

Iraq Affinity Group supporters:

As part of the effort to oppose US war on Iran when we organized the July
28 march and rally

http://www.pjw.info/iran_venezuela_072019.html

the Iraq Affinity Group worked with colleagues in the community to draft
up a resolution for City Council to oppose sanctions and war in Iran and
Venezuela. We circualted petitions at the rally and sent them in, receving
a response from Commissioner Fritz that she was working on the Iran
resolution, which was carried forward by American Iranian Friendship
Council and Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility. The IAG has
endorsed the most recent version.

The Council Agenda has now been posted and the Iran resolution is set for
Wednesday, November 13 at 3:30 PM:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/auditor/26997

  1050  TIME CERTAIN: 3:30 PM . Urge our Federal Government to engage in
diplomacy with Iran (Resolution introduced by Commissioner Fritz)  25
minutes requested

(Note: the text of the resolution wasn't posted when I wrote this email
but will be up before the end of this afternoon).

If you can't make it to the hearing on Wednesday, please write or call
members of Council to ask them to support the resolution:

Mayor Ted Wheeler: 503-823-4120 mayorwheeler at portlandoregon.gov
Commissioner Amanda Fritz: 503-823-3008 amanda at portlandoregon.gov
Commissioner Nick Fish: 503-823-3589  nick at portlandoregon.gov
Commissioner Chloe Eudaly: 503-823-4682  chloe at portlandoregon.gov
Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty: 503-823-4151 joann at portlandoregon.gov

You might also mention that you hope to see them pass a similar resolution
around Venezuela. That draft resolution is being shepherded to Council by
Veterans for Peace Chapter 72 and is also supported by the IAG.

Extra bonus! Oregon PSR also put forward a resolution asking the City to
follow the lead of the state legislature

https://worldbeyondwar.org/oregon-becomes-second-state-in-nation-to-support-nuclear-ban-treaty/

and ask the US to sign on to the UN ban on nuclear weapons. That
resolution is scheduled to be heard right after the Iran resolution on
Wednesday:

  1051  TIME CERTAIN: 3:55 PM . Declare City's opposition to nuclear
weapons and urge the U.S. Federal Government to sign the Treaty on the
Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and take action to prevent nuclear war
(Resolution introduced by Commissioner Fritz)  25 minutes requested

Thanks
dan handelman