[pjw] INFO: Women's suffrage in America 100 Years later!

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Aug 18 18:23:30 EDT 2020

Hello PJW supporters

As today's 100th anniversary of women's right to vote in the USA was
approaching I could not help thinking about our dear friend Yvonne
Simmons, who worked tirelessly for the rights of women. I called to talk
to Yvonne at the memory care facility where she's been living for the last
several years to remind her of today's significance.

I looked around to see if I could find any Portland-specific
commemorations (admittedly, through just a few web searches) and all I
found were these two items.

USA Today has a page for each state. Oregon's includes some important
figures, but also an air force general and Gert Boyle of Columbia
Sportswear??

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/life/women-of-the-century/2020/08/13/women-of-the-century-oregon-suffrage-activists-politicians-on-list/5005132002/

The only reference I saw on the Oregonian's home page was Trump's empty
(but, I guess, better late then never?) gesture to pardon Susan B Anthony
to try to prove he's not the sexual harasser in chief.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2020/08/trump-to-posthumously-pardon-susan-b-anthony-champion-of-voting-rights-for-women.html

If you're down near Portland State University and want to take a look
around the Walk of Heroines sometime you should do that, Yvonne and a lot
of other Women's International League for Peace and Freedom members' names
are engraved on the wall there.

https://www.pdx.edu/heroines/

(You may remember we held the Mother of All Protests there in May 2017
after Trump dropped a similarly monikered bomb in Afghanistan.)

Anyway, happy to hear about anything I missed and/or your nominees of
Portland heroines to recognize.

dan handelman
peace and justice works