[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #22 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Aug 22 15:46:34 EDT 2020

Greetings again peace-loving people

Last night we held the 22nd Friday rally hosted by PJW as we still deal
with social distancing, face coverings, and limited "audiences" downtown.
The rally was attended by six people, five of whom went on the march. As
has been the case for two months now, in addition to our picket signs we
had the Ann Huntwork Memorial Sign running messages digitally... up until
the electromagnetic fields around the MAX tracks knocked it out again.

We talked about America's last-gasp effort to clamp down on Iran by
claiming sanctions under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (the "Iran
nuclear deal") even though the US pulled out of that agreement under
President Trump.

In fact, of the 15 members of the Security Council, only the Dominican
Republic voted to support the US:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-un-idUSKBN25H1Q5

We also noted that Trump has promised to pull all US troops out of Iraq:

https://apnews.com/35581f7ecfed0bbea789ee47e1658929

I noted that while I disagree with 90% of Trump's policies, it's hard to
argue with his stated goals of getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan;
however, it seems that either Congress or the military themselves keep
pushing back to leave our soldiers occupying these nations.

As noted last week, the deal in which the UAE agreed to recognize Israel
not only gave cover for Netanyahu to slow down the West Bank annexation
plan, but UAE now has access to better weaponry. There's talk of them
getting high tech US fighter jets as part of this reward.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/trump-uae-f-35-jets-deal-under-review-despite-israeli-concerns-639318

We also talked a little bit about the ongoing protests for Black Lives,
and how Portland Police have seemed to get more brutal lately. Recently
one officer knocked down a woman using a baton and then unnecessarily
hitting her in the head with that baton before storming off angrily.

(trigger warning: don't watch this if you are easily shocked by violence)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1295965796426891265

Although we didn't have as many honking horns and people seeking
literature as last week (probably because of the oppressive humidity), as
two of us were headed away from the rally someone stopped to take a fact
sheet and a Copwatch newsletter.

As noted last week, it would be great to have a few more people who are
willing to come down, even if it's just once a month, to attend the
rallies. Coming this week we'll have an announcement out about two
specially themed events happening in Sept/Oct plus a non-Friday event as
well.

Thanks

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works