[pjw] INFO/ACTION: Please schedule public commment for Joint Terrorism Task Force Report

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Jan 7 18:21:38 EST 2020

Hi
One of the side effects of Trump's horrifying and ilegal assassination
drone last week is there's a crackdown happening in the Iranian / middle
eastern / Muslim communities based on the "if you see something say
something" garbage that led to internment camps in the 1940s.

Portland Copwatch sent out this action alert on Friday and I meant to
forward it to you all Saturday, but the antiwar part of my brain wasn't
connecting to the civil liberties side.

This month, the Police Bureau is required to present a report to City
Council about their cooperation in 2019 on the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task
Force. PJW and Portland Copwatch (our project group) are still working on
this issue with other organizations. Our first step is trying to make sure
the public gets to speak at the hearing where the report is presented. If
you want to use our letter (below) or write your own, please do so. The
more the Mayor hears about public interest the more we have a chance
(however remote) to get him to change his mind about never taking public
input on reports. If you do contact Council, let us know.

dan h.