[pjw] INFO: End the Afghan War Thurs 11/19; end of Voices for Creative Nonviolence

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Nov 16 13:44:46 EST 2020

PJW supporters and allies

Our allies at Voices for Creative Nonviolence sent us two emails in the
last two days. The first, below, lists a webinar taking place this
Thursday, November 19 with high-profile speakers including VCNV's
cofounder Kathy Kelly talking about ending the war in Afghanistan. That
announcement talks about a congressional hearing this week about
perpetuating the Afghan war. Frankly, it's irritating that the mainstream
echo chamber (and most politicians) are fighting against the idea of
taking all the troops out, perhaps in part because it's a plan by the
otherwise deplorable Donald Trump to do so. (Though as I've pointed out
before, the removal of _troops_ doesn't mean the US war would end, with
drone strikes and airstrikes likely to continue unless we demand
otherwise.)

The second, which arrived today, announces that VCNV (USA, but not UK)
will be shutting down operations at the end of 2020.

It sounds as if the largest reason is the difficulty in their direct
action tactics riding the wave of the pandemic. They can't directly visit
Afghanistan, protest drone strikes while marching hundreds of miles across
various states, or do other community organizing in the way that was
possible before March 2020.

https://mcusercontent.com/ad474c00c83953a2b8e225340/files/c93775a9-d9e7-4c61-a6a5-163de0b2f5bb/VCNV_Nov_2020_final_draft.pdf

They were founded in 1995 as Voices in the Wilderness, directly
challenging the US sanctions on Iraq by deliberately taking medicine and
children's toys to that country in acts of civil disobedience, gathering
stories and exposing the very simple tenet that *sanctions kill*.

I was able to join one of their earlier delegations in late 1996 and went
again in early 2002, not long after 9/11.

We've partnered with Kathy Kelly on numerous events here in Portland and
hope to do so again, whether by remote or in person.

It does NOT sound as if the decision was financial, as they are turning
over money designated to the Afghan Peace Volunteers and returning any
donations that come in from this point forward.

Just to echo one thing we discussed at our quarterly meeting on Saturday,
while many organizations are either going all-virtual (shutting down their
offices and working remotely) or finding it difficult to continue
financially, PJW is doing all right thanks to your generosity.* While we
have had to readjust some of our program work (no large rallies/marches
planned, Portland Copwatch has suspended in-person copwatching and mass
trainings), our educational work continues.

I'm sad to see VCNV go away but look forward to their new incarnation,
which sounds like it will be focused more locally in the Chicago area.

OK, here's that info on the webinar, which is being hosted by World Beyond
War.

-dan handelman
peace and justice works

*- but we do welcome more donations!
    A fundraising letter should be arriving soon for many of you;
    donations can be sent to
    Peace and Justice Works
    PO Box 42456
    Portland, OR   97242