[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #34 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun Nov 15 13:24:32 EST 2020

Hi again PJW supporters

As to the subject line of these emails-- I guess I thought we were
technically still being asked to stay home, save lives since the
Governor's order in March, but she's now issued a new set of orders that
kick in on Wednesday due to the surge in cases. As such, at least two of
our regulars who use public transportation to attend the rallies are going
to be out for probably the next four weeks, so if you're comfortable
coming downtown and joining us at least until then we'd love to have you
there.

Meanwhile, there were four of us who did participate-- albeit one stayed
for less than five minutes-- in last night's Friday Rally for Peace and
Justice at Pioneer Courthouse Square. We were masked up and socially
distanced. We had the usual smattering of thumbs-ups, honking horns and
appreciative pedestrians, and I'd say the traffic still seems light.
Especially considering that the experts are saying traffic is almost back
to where it was before the pandemic, and that we're downtown during rush
hour. And while Friday was a very rainy day, we didn't experience much
precipitation until the last 5-10 minutes of the march.

At the rally of course the issue came up about (if and) when President
Trump decides to leave office, what comes next? And sadly, there are
plenty of examples that we have more work to do.

For instance, President-elect Biden has said he will keep the US troops in
Syria (you know, the ones "guarding" the oil wells there, with no UN
mandate or invitation from the Syrian government).

  https://english.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2020/11/3/biden-will-remain-tough-on-syrias-assad-adviser-says

Also don't expect full withdrawals from Iraq or Afghanistan either.

  https://www.stripes.com/news/us/biden-says-us-must-maintain-small-force-in-middle-east-has-no-plans-for-major-defense-cuts-1.644631

Biden also said (back in August, but this came up again at the election)
that while he won't expand the border wall, he also won't tear down what
Trump already built.

  https://www.npr.org/2020/08/05/899266045/biden-would-end-border-wall-construction-but-wont-tear-down-trump-s-additions

Aaaaaannd don't expect the Biden White House to move the US's (illegally
moved by Trump) embassy back from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv in Israel; he also
will not reverse Trump's recognition of the Israeli occupation of the
Golan Heights.

  https://english.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2020/11/3/biden-wont-reverse-recognition-of-golan-heights-annexation-report

Locally I noted that we also will have a lot of work to do now that the
incoming City Council is likely to be supportive of mild, not major
reforms to the police with the election of Mingus Mapps and the middle of
the road action by Dan Ryan last week on the budget. This means we have to
be very vigilant in pressing to make the changes that will be necessary
for the new oversight system to succeed, including changes to the Police
Association contract and state law.

Along the march route I talked about another Israel/Palestine issue,
namely that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is planning to visit a winery
in the occupied West Bank, the first such state visit to an (illegal)
settlement in the territories.

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pompeo-to-visit-golan-heights-west-bank-settlement-on-trip-to-israel-report/ar-BB1aXEl8

And during the "money for human needs not war" block I talked about
Biden's potential nominee for secretary of defense who has ties to the
defense industry.

  https://thehill.com/policy/defense/525674-progressive-house-democrats-urge-biden-against-defense-chief-with-contractor

Once again the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial sign went blank on the east
side of Pioneer Place Mall before we turned the corner and headed west up
Yamhill. FYI, the monthly memorials for Keaton Otis (who was killed by
Portland Police in 2010) started meeting as hybrid online/in-person events
last month. I made it down on Thursday and brought the wagon and the sign
to the delighted eyes of the three other people at the "live" event and to
the ears of the more than a dozen folks experiencing the vigil on Zoom. I
limited the message to just being about police accountability, but added
the anti-intervention message back on at the Friday rally.

In closing, these facts are not meant to depress or demoralize you,
they're meant as a sort of pep talk to recognize that our work must
continue, regardless of who sits in the seats of power... or until the
policies of this country are such that there's peace, environmental
sustainability, economic stability/housing for all.

Thanks

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
     Iraq Affinity Group