[pjw] REPORT BACK: 2 cities nuked: Friday rally #72 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Aug 7 13:24:29 EDT 2021

Iraq Affinity Group supporters:

We had clear (but humid) weather for our special Friday rally and march
last night, "76 Years Later, We're Still Building Nukes." Once again there
were seven of us there (interestingly, the same number were at our
Hiroshima Day rally last year in August). We had a strange mixture of
community responses. Several people were surprised to learn, from the
signs we had, that the "US has nuked two cities-- never again!" One person
along the march thanked us for being there but asked "what was the second
city?" One person at the Square told us the sign was "propaganda" and
proceeded to defend killing 100s of 1000s of Japanese civilians by
referencing Pearl Harbor, then going off about 9/11 and more. That person
slowly came to more reasoned discussion when he found we were just as
likely to condemn wars started by Democrats as Republicans. (Doesn't he
know that Roosevelt and Truman were Democrats?)

Others -- and this was multiple people-- said things like "you should talk
about racism" (which we did, see below), or other topics they thought were
more relevant. A few curiously asked what we were doing and why we chose
this day, which we explained was exactly 76 years since the bombing of
Hiroshima.

We "went the extra mile"-- literally-- and met up with the Oregon PSR
event at the Japanese American Historical Plaza. We stood out by the
roadside to support their event. Weirdly, there's so much construction on
Naito Parkway that there was barely any traffic at 6 PM on a Friday. Of
the 50 or so people there, about a dozen either passed by on their way in
or came over to say hello. It was interesting to see so many people I
haven't seen in over 17 months!

The event at the Plaza was supposed to last 15 minutes, but when it got to
be 6:30 the four of us who remained decided to head out-- still carrying
our signs-- to get back to our cars/public transport nearer the Square.

We couldn't hear much except the ringing of the Buddhist minister's bells,
but the ceremony -- and subsequent presentation at the Japanese American
Museum, can be seen here:

  https://www.facebook.com/OregonPSR

At our rally at the Square, the main topic was about Hiroshima and
Nagasaki. We'd recently received a statement from the United National
Antiwar Coalition which I opted to read rather than writing up my own
thoughts. In retrospect I should probably have mentioned the information
on our own flyer about recent contracts expanding US nuclear capabilities,
after all that was the theme of our event.

Anyway, here's the gist of the UNAC statement, and I noted that I don't
always agree with everything they write; the full statement can be found
here:

https://nepajac.org/unac_072721.html

--The droppings of bombs on Hiroshima (Aug 6, 1945) and Nagasaki (Aug 9,
1945) were among the most horrendous events in human history, killing
about 250,000 people immediately and many more from wounds and radiation.

--There was no real military reason to use the bomb as Japan was ready to
surrender. It was likely done to show the Russians that the US had this
weapon capable of mass destruction.

--It's likely that racism played a role. The US military remained
segregated. People of Japanese descent were put in internment camps while
German-Americans were not. Was the decision to kill so many Japanese
people driven by the white supremacy on which America was founded?

--The US withdrew from important treaties, is spending $1.5 trillion to
update its nukes, and now has a military space force, leading to a new
arms race.

--Following the bombings, a nuclear arms race made it possible to destroy
the planet many times over, using money that could instead have gone to
address the environment, hunger and poverty-- a true way to make the world
safe.

I did address a few recent headlines as well.

--Though there is no evidence that Iran was behind the recent drone strike
on one of its tankers, Israel is saying they are ready to attack Iran:

  https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-business-iran-middle-east-united-nations-16666e8d97ed6e4571ae6d01785c00fc

--The US is continuing to launch airstrikes against the Taliban in
Afghanistan, further indicating that a troop withdrawal doesn't mean the
war is over:

  https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/2021/08/04/us-afghan-airstrikes-pummel-taliban-positions-in-southern-afghanistan/

--And, in Somalia, the US enacted its third airstrike in two weeks:

  https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/08/us-conducts-third-airstrike-in-somalia-in-2-weeks/

And now the grand news of the week: Because we headed north rather than
south, we never doubled back past Pioneer Place Mall and the Ann
Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign ran continuously throughout the evening! And
I mean that-- from the time I assembled it in the parking garage just
after 4:30 PM until we got back to SW 4th and Yamhill at about 6:45.
Hooray. Out of respect for Oregon PSR's event, once we got to the
Waterfront I left our message about Hiroshima day on the sign but "muted"
the ones about "US Out" and "Justice 4" which had been running up to that
point.

Last I should not that I announced our Friday rally on September 10 (just
5 weeks away) will start early (4:30 PM) and mark 20 years since 9/11.
More details should be available in a few days.

While the Sturgis Motorcycle Ralliers in South Dakota seem unphased by the
resurgence of COVID

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-south-dakota-kicks-off-covid-19-surge-delta-variant/

we continue to mask up and stay socially distant at the rallies. If you
want to join us some week please do, 5 PM most weeks, or 4:30 on Sept. 10.

thanks

dan handelman