[pjw] REPORT BACK: US' violent talk (and action): Friday rally #75 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Aug 28 16:12:33 EDT 2021

PJW supporters

Last night's rally played out a little like a variation on Agatha
Christie's "and then there were none." We began down by one regular who
had a scheduling conflict, then another showed up with a bloody forehead
after having fallen on the sidewalk; after getting first aid from the
Square we sent them off to get more help. While the first aid was being
applied, another regular showed up and announced that due to an abundance
of caution around COVID, they were just there to say hi and would not be
staying. Nonetheless, six of us rallied and started the march, gaining a
lot of support again including at least three people who leaned out their
windows to flash peace signs at us. Two thirds of the way through the
march, two more folks took a pre-announced early departure, leaving four
of us to finish the event.

I feel like the announcements were shorter than usual, but here are the
headlines we talked about:

--After the deadly attack that killed at least 13 US service members and
60 Afghans (which has recently been revised to over ONE HUNDRED and
sixty*), our very diplomatic, not at all hot-headed President promised the
perpetrators "we will hunt you down and make you pay."

  https://news.yahoo.com/biden-promises-to-hunt-down-terrorists-behind-devastating-kabul-attack-220247134.html

(By the way, the rally came before news broke that Biden then ordered
drone strikes which killed two alleged members of ISIS, who may or may not
have been involved in the attack at the airport- info in the same article
as the revised death toll.*)

---I noted this angry rhetoric about being attacked for occupying someone
else's nation reminded me of a burglar several years ago who sued a
homeowner that shot them.

  https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/burglar-sues-homeowner-shot-claims-steal-38690586

--You may recall that in April, "someone" bombed a nuclear site in Iran;
it's now been reported not only that Israel for sure conducted the strike
but that they violated an agreement with the US and gave them only two
hours' notice.

  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-gave-u-s-two-hour-notice-on-iran-attack-cia-demanded-answers-1.10153826

--In Iraq, Turkey has for decades made over-the-border incursions to
attack Kurdish independence fighters. This week Turkey bombed a medical
clinic claiming is was a headquarters for the PKK.

  https://english.alaraby.co.uk/news/turkey-denies-targeting-clinic-iraq-air-strike

--In local news, yesterday morning the Portland Police shot at a suspect
who died (some media outlets are implying the man took his own life) as
they helped the federal Drug Enforcement Administration administer a
warrant. This is the fifth deadly force incident with Portland Police this
year-- a 250% increase over last year. I'm including an updated link from
today's Oregonlive which includes the officers' names, released today.

  https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2021/08/police-id-officers-who-killed-suspect-in-n-portland-gunfire-exchange.html

--And in excellent local environmental news, the City Council decided to
deny a permit to the Zenith Energy oil transport facility, which likely
will shut down their ultra-dangerous plans for expansion.

  https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2021/08/27/36205555/portland-officials-deny-zenith-permit-oil-facility-may-be-forced-to-shut-down

Along the route to update folks on Israel/Palestine, I noted that on
Tuesday, Israel bombed Gaza, amazingly not causing any injuries, but also
opened fired on protestors, wounding 41.

  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/21/24-wounded-as-israel-fires-on-palestinian-border-demonstrators

And as the last four of us headed back to the Square, I reported that the
folks at Brown University have updated their figures to show that the
Afghan war has cost the US $2.3 Trillion. Imagine all the people who are
about to be thrown out of their homes after the Supreme Court said the CDC
was not allowed to extend the eviction moratorium under COVID, and how
that money could probably... well, house every unhoused person in the US.

  https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/figures/2021/human-and-budgetary-costs-date-us-war-afghanistan-2001-2022

Although it went out completely again between 4th/5th on Yamhill, the Ann
Huntwork Peace Memorial froze up this week in front of the Gucci
store, so it just said "US Out" with no scrolling list of countries
for the next block or so.

Once again I reminded people that our event on Sept. 10 commemorating 9/11
20 years later will start early, at 4:30 instead of 5 PM. I hope everyone
saw the updated announcement that went out a few days ago.

  http://www.pjw.info//911_20yl.html

Here's hoping to a speedy recovery to our head-wounded ally and safety to
all with the Delta Variant running rampant. An odd moment happened when a
passer-by wanted us to pose for a picture and asked people to move
together-- I reminded everyone we should continue to stay 6 feet apart,
outdoors or not, even though we were all wearing masks.

  https://www.oregon.gov/newsroom/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?newsid=64307

Join us if you feel safe and are able to make it down some week.

Peace

dan handelman

* https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2021/08/us-military-strikes-islamic-state-member-in-afghanistan-after-suicide-bomber-killed-169-at-kabul-airport.html