[pjw] REPORT BACK: 6th Prez bombs Iraq-- Friday rally #45 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jan 30 12:47:35 EST 2021

Supporters of peace and justice

Before getting to the details of last night's rally, I'll start with the
first point I made in the rally talk: Joe Biden this week became the sixth
consecutive President to bomb the country of Iraq. Think about that for a
second. I did when I read this article about a US bomb killing an alleged
Islamic State leader in Northern Iraq on Wednesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/world/middleeast/us-airstrike-kills-top-isis-leader-in-iraq.html

OK, so here's what happened. Four of us rallied (distanced, masked) and
three went on the march. Before we started the talk, three people stopped
to talk to us, two took literature. One took a Copwatch newsletter.
(also available at http://www.portlandcopwatch.org/PPR82/PPR82dex.HTML).
The other had been at a weekly 4 PM rally in the other corner of the
Square-- Health Care Workers for Black Lives and offered to "swap
propaganda," thanking us for being there. I gave him the all-new flyer
for the March 19 Friday Rally to mark the invasion of Iraq 18 years later.

http://www.pjw.info//iraq_18yl_flyer.pdf

We got a lot of honks and thumbs up again which is nice-- hopefully people
see that opposition to US policy is OK regardless of who is in the White
House.

Along those lines, other news we discussed:

--Biden also continued Trump's tactic of flying B-52s over the Persian
Gulf to tweak Iran's nose (also on Wednesday):

https://www.centcom.mil/MEDIA/PRESS-RELEASES/Press-Release-View/Article/2483795/bombers-showcase-airpower-in-the-middle-east/

--Then on Thursday, the new hope President sent three warships into the
Black Sea off the coast of Russia.

https://www.stripes.com/news/europe/navy-sends-three-ships-into-black-sea-as-russia-takes-notice-1.660114

*Sigh*

--Meanwhile there are still 5000 National Guard troops in Washington DC
and there's talk of keeping a fence up around the Capitol permanently.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2021/01/28/the-guard-isnt-going-home-leaders-fear-retention-may-suffer/

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/536349-capitol-police-assessment-calls-for-permanent-fencing-back-up

For local news I noted how the Portland Police's Joint Terrorism Task
Force report had been woefully inadequate and that Mayor Wheeler had shut
us out of public testimony. Here's OPB's coverage (which unfortunately
doesn't mention our live watch party but does quote me from a post-Council
interview; I wrote to the reporter about fixing the spelling of my name
but that hasn't happened yet):

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/01/27/portland-police-fbi-joint-terrorism-task-force/

By the way, the Mayor's aide Asena Lawrence tried to dismiss my efforts
which led the Portland Committee on Community Engaged Policing to suggest
taking public testimony on the Report, claiming that never happened for
any kind of Report in the 7 years she's been in City Hall. Luckily, Debbie
Aiona from the League of Women Voters jumped in with a few examples of
when that DID happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI0q_k5hmYY&t=2h43m21s (me/PCCEP)
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI0q_k5hmYY&t=2h50m13s (aide/LWV)

When we got to the part of the march where we talk about Israel/Palestine,
I had bad news/good news.

The bad news: Biden's nominee to be UN Ambassador said the Boycott,
Divestment and Sanctions movement is anti-Semitic and should not be heard
at the UN:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/bidens-nominee-for-un-envoy-pledges-to-combat-unfair-targeting-of-israel/

But the good news is that Biden is freeing up money held back by Trump to
aid the Palestinians.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/biden-administration-restore-aid-palestinians-fix-atrophied-relations

In the final stretch where we talked money for human needs, I also had two
points.

--What more can we say about how America works than that a Seattle
hospital offered their big money donors early access to the COVID
vaccine?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/27/seattle-hospital-offered-major-donors-invite-only-covid-19-vaccine-appointments/?sh=50329cef641a

--In mixed news, President Biden is proposing to make good on a
promise to provide $1.9 trillion in COVID relief.

https://news.yahoo.com/cant-wait-biden-push-u-173645598.html

The bad news is that money is not coming from the $700 billion military
budget and will likely put the nation further into debt unless Bernie
Sanders and others in Congress can tax the wealthy and the huge
corporations to pay for it.

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign Sign froze on the way in to the
rally, I reset it at it was fine. Then it froze again along the march
early on the block between 4th/5th on Yamhill. I rebooted it again only to
have it go totally blank in the next block (as we came back to the
Square).

Once again there's an open invitation to join us if your situation
allows for it, every Friday at 5 PM at SW Yamhill and Broadway. A PJW
member who attended a rally for the first time earlier this month
expressed how transformative an experience it was especially under COVID.

Peace!

dan handelman