[pjw] REPORT BACK: Iraq condemns US: Friday rally #67 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jul 3 15:17:22 EDT 2021

PJW supporters

Well, technically speaking the Governor lifted the "stay-at-home orders"
we have referenced in these reports back since PJW took over sponsorship
of the Friday Rallies for Peace and Justice last March. However, as noted
before, many restrictions remain including federal laws requiring masks on
public transportation, so for now we're still masking up and keeping
distanced. (And who knows what the Delta variant, much less people mass
congregating indoors will bring us in the coming weeks?)

Six of us made it to the rally last night. There was a noticeable increase
in pedestrian and automotive traffic, but not a corresponding uptick in
signs of appreciation, though we did get a welcome share of horn honks and
people thanking us. MAX trains were also noticeably more full of people
than in the past months.

There was a lot to talk about last night, here are some of the highlights:

--The Iraqi Prime Minister condemned the US for its airstrikes in Iraq and
Syria last weekend

  https://www.newsweek.com/iraq-voices-anger-over-strikes-us-allies-says-dont-use-nation-attack-syria-iran-1605735

---and the Pentagon referred to them as "retaliation" which, so far as I
understand it, isn't a legal justification for warmaking. As noted
before, the US bombs killed 4 militia members and a child, and wounded
civilians, while the drone strikes we were avenging harmed no person.

  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/06/27/biden-orders-airstrikes-syria-iraq-iranian-backed-militias/5367769001/

--The US announced it had handed over the Bagram Airbase to the Afghan
government, signaling that the "withdrawal" is almost complete; however
as previously noted the US plans to leave 650 troops to guard its
embassy... and how many "contractors" (/mercenaries) are still there?

  https://apnews.com/article/taliban-afghanistan-f6da97f3bde5b50b6d029185c9eb385d

--In uplifting news, as noted earlier this week, the House voted to repeal
the 1991 Iraq "Gulf War" and 1957 anti-communism-in-the-Middle East war
authorizations; the vote was 366-46 (here's a different link than I sent)

  https://www.courthousenews.com/house-repeals-pair-of-outdated-military-force-authorizations/

--Also covered this week, Donald Rumsfeld died, but as this Truthout op-ed
points out, in doing so he escaped prosecution for war crimes

  https://truthout.org/articles/rumsfeld-was-not-controversial-he-played-a-leading-role-in-mass-murder/

In local news, Portland Copwatch was the only group to testify at City
Council as they voted to extend their ability to hold meetings virtually,
making no provisions for the remote-meeting Commissioners to be able to
see the community if they are, for instance, wearing the same t-shirts or
buttons, or standing up and turning their backs on bad decisions. A slow
death for democracy by technology, just not how one may have expected.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/ordinance/passed/190476

When we got to the corner where we talk Israel/Palestine, I noted that
after an Amnesty International report on Israeli human rights abuses, the
Palestinians are calling for sanctions on Israel:

  https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/palestine-calls-for-israel-sanctions/ar-AALxUdM

At the "money for human needs not war" stretch near the end of the march,
I had a bad news/good news/bad news sandwich to share:

--the bad news is, the House is giving Biden $1 billion more than the
  $715 billion he asked for in Pentagon spending.

--the good news is, the bill includes a provision to stop funding
  Guantanamo.

--the bad news is, the date to cut that funding is Sept. 30, 2022,
  leaving nearly 40 people in limbo for another 15 months and
  who knows if that provision will survive the Senate?

  https://thehill.com/policy/defense/560713-house-panel-releases-706b-pentagon-spending-bill

In technology updates, I forgot the "bullhorn" (orange traffic cone on an
oil filter wrench) so yelled the news this week. The metal nut tied to the
grounding wire for the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign fell off somewhere
on the way to the Square and the sign froze up early-- across the street
from the Gucci store-- and then went out on Yamhill just west of 4th.
Seriously if you know a person who can do a spiritual cleansing that would
be great.

When we got back to the square I mentioned our livestream event with
David Swanson, which was at that point up to 93 views, making it the fifth
most popular video on our YouTube page:

  https://www.youtube.com/user/peaceandjusticeworks

(there's one more view as of today).

As you feel ready, consider joining us one Friday at the corner of SW
Yamhill and Broadway. It's a great way to remind people that there's still
a peace movement.

peace

dan handelman