[pjw] REPORT BACK: US Staying in Afghanistan: Friday rally #66 under (modified) stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jun 26 14:20:37 EDT 2021

Iraq Affinity Group supporters

For a second week in a row, we had five people at that Friday Rally for
Peace and Justice, masked up and distanced. But this week one of our
longtime regulars was absent and a PJW member who'd been away since
October returned, which could mean an ongoing boost to our size and
morale. It wasn't too hot considering the heat wave, as the SW corner of
the Square and most of the march route are in the shade. We once again got
a lot of supportive gestures, though with increased traffic it's sometimes
hard to know whether people are honking for other drivers to get out of
the way or for us. The waving and smiling at us helps. We did get a
heckler who called us "retarded" which is offensive on so many levels (so
much so that I debated even mentioning it). Along the route a photographer
asked for some literature from the little wagon of peace and took a photo.
I should have asked them to send us a copy.

So, what did we talk about last night? Let's jump in:

--In Afghanistan, surprise surprise, the US is now saying they want 650
troops to remain to guard the embassy and hundreds to guard the airport
until the US withdrawal is done. 650 is 26% of the 2500 remaining troops.
I asked, can you imagine a foreign country stationing 650 troops in the US
to "guard their embassy" and the American people being ok with that?

  https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-us-troop-withdrawal-ac5f7fc24364ac46020cce8bee581815

--In Iran, a nuclear facility was targeted by a drone which didn't do
significant damage. However, it's suspected Israel was involved, especially
since they put that facility on a "hit list" for the US.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-nuclear-site-hit-wednesday-was-on-list-of-targets-israel-gave-us-report/

---Also, the US seized several Iranian media websites claiming they were
violating sanctions.

  https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/06/22/iran-says-state-linked-sites-seized-us-reasons-unclear.html

--The US has voted, for the 25th time, against a UN resolution calling for
it to remove its embargo on Cuba. During the Obama presidency, the US
abstained. Why would Biden go back to the status quo on this issue?

  https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-06-23/us-continues-to-vote-against-un-call-to-end-cuba-embargo

--The post-9/11 wars, Brown University reports, have caused the deaths of
7057 US service members, but alarmingly 30,177 military people have taken
their own lives in that time.

  https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/papers/2021/Suicides

--In Iraq, a British aircraft carrier is now stationed to do most of the
bombing of "ISIS facilities" while the US concentrates on withdrawing from
Afghanistan. Imperialists of a feather flock together.

  https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-06-21/uks-newest-carrier-joins-is-fight-stirs-russian-interest

The march got on its way and when we reached the corner to discuss Israel
and Palestine, I noted that an Idaho Senator (James Risch-R) unilaterally
is holding up $50 million in aid to Palestinians. Several Jewish members
of Congress are urging him to release the funds.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/23/us-aid-to-palestinians-blocked-by-republican-senator

In the final blocks before our return to the square, in talking about
money for human needs, I first contextualized that about one year after
the murder of George Floyd, Officer Derek Chauvin has now been sentenced
to 22.5 years.

  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/derek-chauvin-be-sentenced-murder-death-george-floyd-n1272332

...and that while Portland pretty much left the Police Bureau budget
intact, in Oakland they redirected $18 million to social services.

  https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/Oakland-council-adopts-budget-that-cuts-police-16272993.php

As noted last week, I shouldn't have said anything about the special
grounding wire we used to keep the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign
running during most of the march last time. Even with that in place, the
sign conked out by the Gucci store on 4th and Morrison again.

In the square and at the end I mentioned our livestream event with David
Swanson; I also updated the sign to point people to watch the recording
rather than promoting a date that had passed (June 24). I think you all
know it but here it is again:

  https://youtube.com/peaceandjusticeworks

The returning PJW member this week is NOT the same one who may be joining
us in future weeks, so our numbers may match the pandemic record of seven
soon (that was on Hiroshima Day last year). Join us if you can and feel ok
with it any Friday at 5 PM at the corner of SW Yamhill and Broadway; as a
reminder until public transportation masking rules end we're doing COVID
protocols.

thanks

dan handelman