[pjw] REPORT BACK: Great security threat: Friday rally #83 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Oct 23 15:51:22 EDT 2021

Hi again Iraq Affinity Group supporters

Last night at the Friday Rally for Peace and Justice things started off on
a good note as three people asked about the event and voluntarily (as in,
they asked US we didn't ask them) took literature from the little green
wagon of peace. One of them, I think, was really amazed we've been at
it for almost 20 years since I think that made the event older than
they are. Six of us were at the rally, two of whom had to exit about
halfway through the march for another appointment. It never rained on us--
I think that was in part because nobody said "at least it's not raining!"

We had other support from people who honked their horns or otherwise
showed support.

Here's what we talked about this week in the announcements:

--The nominee to become US ambassador to China called that country "the
greatest threat to security." I kind of feel like climate change, rampant
capitalism, and imperialist wars and occupations are higher up the list. I
speculate this person will be easily confirmed for toeing the party line:

  https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3153083/us-ambassador-china-nominee-takes-tough-line-toward-beijing-cites?module=lead_hero_story

--One of those countries where the US has meddled, Libya, declared they
want no more foreign interference as they prepare for their elections to
resolve the country's 10 year long division.

  https://www.libyaobserver.ly/news/final-statement-libya-stabilization-conference-reiterates-no-more-foreign-intervention

--In more news showing the US is still in charge of Afghanistan, the US
treasury, which controls $9 billion in Afghan banks, refused to let the
Taliban access that money:

  https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/10/19/us-taliban-will-have-no-access-to-afghan-central-bank-reserves

--As a reminder there are still 900 US troops in Syria, an American base
there was attacked by a drone; nobody was injured.

  https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/20/politics/drone-attack-syria/index.html

--In mildly good news, a man imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay since 2007 and
was cleared for release also had a judge rule that his detention was
unlawful, possibly setting up precedent for all held without charge:

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/guantanamo-us-court-rules-inmates-detention-unlawful

In local news, the City's "fall budget bump" which is expected to send a
windfall to the police (thanks in part to incessant media stories
repeating the propaganda that hiring more police will solve Portland's
crime issues), has been delayed for a few weeks while the City and County
decide how to cooperate on housing and homelessness funding.

  https://www.koin.com/news/portland-multnomah-county-working-on-new-homeless-spending/

Along the march route, as we came down to our team of four, I talked about
how Israel has the exclusive right to issue valid identification for
people living in the occupied West Bank, and they just gave out a mere
4000 such cards. The Palestinian "Authority" isn't able to do this.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-authorizes-some-4000-undocumented-palestinians-after-10-year-freeze/

And on the home stretch as we returned to the Square, I noted that special
envoy John Kerry says that cutting the amount of funding in the propose
infrastructure bill jeopardizes the world's ability to combat climate
change. Maybe if we hadn't spent all our money on war...?

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/here-are-the-two-climate-proposals-on-democrats-chopping-block/ar-AAPPC1j

After staying on during my whole trip from the parking garage _to_ the
rally, the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went out again next to the
Gucci store on SW 4th Ave. It came on again at the Square, went out again
as I headed back to the car, and came back on inside the garage. Spooky
Halloween lighting, perhaps?

And as a reminder to everyone (at the rally and on this list), two weeks
from yesterday is the special event marking 20 years of the Friday Rally.
Rumor has it that at least one "long timer" who hasn't been for a while
might just show up...

  https://www.pjw.info/FridayRally20yl.pdf

We hope to see some other folks there too, if you are feeling up to it and
willing to mask up and stay distanced along with us.

peace