[pjw] REPORT BACK: without borders: Friday rally #141 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Dec 3 16:17:47 EST 2022

Iraq Affinity Group supporters

This week the traffic was back and people were honking and giving us
thumbs up once again as they drove by the weekly Friday Rally for Peace
and Justice. Eight of us-- including a brand new attendee who'd driven
past the rally in the past and got involved through other organizing!--
gathered up, masked and distanced. (Notably, Multnomah County has again
urged people to mask up indoors; to cut down on confusion and infection
PJW continues to keep its masking requirements in place as the pandemic
ebbs and flows.)

For the second time in a month I managed to get through the announcements
except for one headline from memory as I did not have my "cheat sheet."

Here's what we talked about:

--Russia has delayed the promised (and promising?) nuclear weapons
reduction talks, blaming the US for its staunch anti-Russian policies.

  https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/russia-nuclear-talks-us-delayed-amid-differences-94144918

--The US and Israel made simulated airstrikes against Iran and its
"proxies." Shouldn't there be an international law against this kind of
thing?

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-holds-joint-air-drills-with-us-simulating-strikes-on-iran-and-proxies/

--In the "do what I say not what I do" department, the US is mediating
between Turkey and Syrian Kurds to stop Turkey from invading northern
Syria.

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/18862

--Similarly, the US, which has troops and has killed thousands of
people in both Iraq and Syria, is promising to protect Iraqi Kurds against
military strikes from Iran.

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/18846

--Two updates on Julian Assange:
---the Australian Prime Minister is urging the US to drop the charges
against the man who revealed war crimes by the American military:

  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/nov/30/australian-prime-minister-anthony-albanese-us-government-julian-assange-wikileaks?CMP=edit_2221#Echobox=1669787127

---plus, the NY TImes and four foreign papers also called for his release:

  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/11/28/major-news-organizations-finally-urge-us-to-drop-charges-against-julian-assange/

--(A headline I remembered along the march route):
The EU says US is profiting off Ukraine war in terms of gas prices and
weapons sales. I am shocked, SHOCKED! that the US would make money off of
war.

  https://www.politico.eu/article/vladimir-putin-war-europe-ukraine-gas-inflation-reduction-act-ira-joe-biden-rift-west-eu-accuses-us-of-profiting-from-war/amp/

In local news, a grand jury cleared the Oregon State Trooper and Clackamas
County Deputy who shot and killed Derrick Clark, a young man who had
turned his life around to mentor others. (Incidentally, there's a rally
for Justice for Derrick Clark going on as I type this; unfortunately I
learned about it late yesterday.)

  https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2022/11/grand-jury-clears-trooper-detective-in-june-fatal-shooting-of-24-year-old-man-in-clackamas-county.html

Along the march route I reported that an ultraconservative Israeli
military unit is being pulled out of West Bank after they killed a
78-year-old Palestinian-American man earlier this year. For some reason
this seemingly positive action is only planned to last one year.

  https://www.newarab.com/news/israeli-unit-linked-us-citizens-death-exits-west-bank

And in what was termed (in this article) a "bipartisan rebuke" of Biden's
$802 Billion military budget, Congress is set to finalize their version...
at $847 billion. No, a rebuke would be to take that money to pay for
housing, education, health care and other human needs!

  https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/30/house-senate-negotiators-45b-biden-defense-budget-00071367

Here as a bonus is the story I forgot to talk about:
NATO countries discussed ways to confront China. This article came from
the Financial Times (which requires a subscription) but someone has pasted
it into an "archive" web page for free.

  https://archive.ph/HKxKK

This week the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went out again as we passed
the Gucci store at the Mall, back to the usual unexplained pattern.

Join us if you can/are willing and able any Friday at 5 PM at SW Yamhill
and Broadway!

peace