[pjw] Remembering Yvonne Simmons next two weeks on the Video Bus

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Dec 6 14:42:56 EST 2022

>From Flying Focus:

Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 11:19:45
From: Flying Focus Video Collective <ffvc at flyingfocus.org>

FFVC supporters and allies of Yvonne

Former Flying Focus associate and producer, activist, musician and friend of
animals Yvonne Simmons died on July 2, 2022. At a virtual memorial held on
September 25, friends and colleagues remembered Yvonne through her music,
photos, videos, and stories shared by participants. On the next two episodes of
our weekly series, the Flying Focus Video Bus, half-hour programs, viewers will
get a sense of Yvonne's eclectic life, dedicated to ending violence against
women, rescuing animals, teaching children peace, and supporting nonviolent
struggles worldwide.

Clips from some of the 25 or so programs Yvonne made with Flying Focus
illustrate the survivor-empowering Clothesline Project, people opposing a US
spy base in Yvonne's native England, Yvonne's work to bring aid to war-torn
Yugoslavia, the movement Women in Black, and assisting people living on a
garbage dump outside Lima, Peru.

The memorial was hosted by KBOO producer Desiree Hellegers and Flying Focus
co-founder Dan Handelman. Three speakers were members of Women's International
League for Peace and Freedom, including the current and past presidents of
WILPF USA and a local member. Yvonne's spirited personality continued through
her last ten years of life as she struggled with dementia.

Video for the virtual event was provided by Open Signal/Portland Community
Media's Production Services, and the show was produced by Dan Handelman.

We normally send out our show announcements later in the week but wanted to
give folks-- particularly those out-of-state and out-of-country, time to figure
out when they might watch the show streaming live.

"Yvonne Simmons (1946-2022) A Life of Loving Activism" plays back at the
following times; you can  watch on cable or streaming live at these times
(Pacific Standard Time given). We do expect the show will be streaming on our
YouTube channel within the next month as well.

Part 1:

Monday, December 12, 6:00 PM Ch. 22 Comcast
         and streaming live at http://opensignalpdx.org/itn1

Wednesday, December 14, 11:00 PM, Ch. 23 Comcast
          and streaming live at http://opensignalpdx.org/itn2

Friday, December 16, 9:30 PM, Ch. 11 (Cable Access Network-- Citywide)
        and streaming live at http://opensignalpdx.org/can

Part 2:

Monday, December 19, 6:00 PM Ch. 22 Comcast
         and streaming live at http://opensignalpdx.org/itn1

Wednesday, December 21, 11:00 PM, Ch. 23 Comcast
          and streaming live at http://opensignalpdx.org/itn2

Friday, December 23, 9:30 PM, Ch. 11 (Cable Access Network-- Citywide)
        and streaming live at http://opensignalpdx.org/can

Showtimes of current and upcoming shows can always be found at
https://flyingfocus.org/showtimes.html .

DVD copies of the show will be available in mid-December for a suggested
donation of $11 plus $4 postage. Add $3 if you would like it as a file on a USB
Flash Drive. Streaming rights for this or any of our shows can be obtained for
$75 per program (individuals / nonprofits) or $125 (larger institutions). See
our current streaming shows at <http://www.youtube.com/FlyingFocusShows>.

Donations of any size are always welcome to help support our all-volunteer
work. While videos can't be ordered on line (due to restrictions by Network for
Good), general support can be sent via
<http://www.flyingfocus.org/donateonline.html>.

Please call or write back if you have any questions.

Thank you

Dan Handelman
Flying Focus

PS: Open Signal/PCM continues to cablecast all programs with "letterboxing" so
that our shows, created in old-school 4:3 format, appear in the middle of your
screen. Also, our show is carried on the Comcast's High Definition channel 322
on Monday evenings, channel 323 on Wednesday nights and channel 321 on Fridays,
but our shows are not yet produced in HD.

FLYING FOCUS VIDEO COLLECTIVE
a project of Peace and Justice Works         e-mail: ffvc at flyingfocus.org
3439 NE Sandy Blvd PMB #248              web: https://www.flyingfocus.org
Portland, OR  97232                         (503) 321-5051 (call or text)
*using video as a tool for social change*                  (503) 239-7456
** Donate on line:       https://www.flyingfocus.org/donateonline.html **
          ** Be sure to designate your donation to Flying Focus! **