[pjw] REPORT BACK: US cluster pickle: Friday rally #142 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Dec 10 14:06:45 EST 2022

Hello again IAG supporters

Before I get to this week's full report back, I will note that I was able
to announce and bring flyers for our special Friday rally coming up on
January 13, "30+ People, 21 Years and Many Human Rights Violations in
Guantanamo." We'll send out the full announcement tomorrow but you can
find more info here:

https://www.pjw.info/guantanamo21yl.html

At this week's Friday Rally for Peace and Justice we had a total of 10
people at the rally, though several people left early and a few came late
so there were just 7 of us on the march. We had a lot of honks of support
from vehicles, but not a lot of interactions with pedestrians due to the
light but steady rain. By the end my coat, hat and gloves were soaking wet
but not my pants or shoes so go figure.

Oh, and there's no report back about the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial
Sign's electrical dilemma this week because the generator, which was at
57% at the end of last week's rally, was down to 0% before we started.
Again, go figure.

Here are some of the headlines about the week's news"

--The US is considering whether to give Ukraine cluster bombs,
those funny explosives that spread out into things that look like
soda cans and kids love to pick them up. They've been banned by 100+
countries but.... not the United States!!

  https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/07/politics/ukraine-cluster-munitions-us-war-russia

--Bernie Sanders in the Senate and several Dems in the House are trying to
push a War Powers Resolution to end US involvement in Yemen. Interestingly
such a Resolution passed twice under Trump but he vetoed them; somehow
people don't seem to be as anti-war when their party is in power.

  https://theintercept.com/2022/12/06/saudi-yemen-war-bernie-sanders/
  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/12/08/house-lawmakers-urge-swift-passage-of-yemen-war-powers-resolution/

--Iran has said it will not cave to the US' military pressure (war games,
flying bombers over the Middle East, etc) but is willing to talk about
re-starting the nuclear deal talks with Saudi Arabia mediating. Since Iran
and the Saudis are not great allies, this seems like a good development.

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/19157

--The US has resumed its joint patrols with Kurds in Syria despite
tensions with Turkey.

  https://apnews.com/article/islamic-state-group-europe-middle-east-syria-turkey-4fcaa31b51bdce2494413d4cc3a0dc04

--Iraq's Parliament is finally complete with the appointment of two
ministers, over a year since they had a functional government. No thanks
to the US and its invasion from almost 20 years ago.

  https://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/03122022

In local news, the Portland Police finally release the names of the
officers involved in the last FIVE shootings since the end of July. While
their written rules say they have to do so in 24 hours, the Chief has now
said they will wait 15 days to do so in the future. Moreover, two of the
NINE officers involved in these incidents shot people just a little over a
year ago, a very rare clustering.

  https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2022/12/portland-police-identify-9-officers-involved-in-shootings-since-july-announce-change-in-deadly-force-policy.html

Along the march route, someone asked us about our sign saying "Free
Palestine," asking if we were "for" Israel or Palestine. I said "We're for
Palestinians not being oppressed." They gave an appreciative gesture and
said they'd been in Israel.

ANYWAY, right around the corner from there I noted that the UN General
Assembly had a second vote this year urging Israel to give up its nuclear
weapons (that it doesn't admit to having). 149 countries voted in favor,
fewer than last time. I didn't see the "no" tally in this article.

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/19276

As we came back toward Pioneer Square, I gave an update on the military
budget, where the House voted 350-80 for the $858 Billion package, $25 B
above Biden's request, including $10 billion for Taiwan and $0.8 Billion
for Ukraine. Weirdly, Schrader joined Blumenauer and Bonamici voting
against this but DeFazio voted for it. Both are in their last month in
office.

  https://www.defensenews.com/congress/budget/2022/12/08/house-passes-defense-bill-with-more-taiwan-ukraine-security-aid/

In an almost predictable development, hospitals are filling up again with
people contracting respiratory viruses including COVID, so please mask up
and stay distanced if you are able to come down to the Friday rally
sometime.

thanks