[pjw] EVENT: "30+ People, 21 Years and Many Human Rights Violations in Guantanamo" Fri 1/13 4:30 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun Dec 11 17:21:17 EST 2022

Hi again

Below is the full announcement for the special Friday Rally on Jan. 13
marking 21 years of the human rights aberration known as the Guantanamo
Bay Prison. We have to narrowly tailor this event each year to work with
our allies at Amnesty International Group 48. That said, we have submitted
this as our contribution to the United National Antiwar Coalition's week
of actions in honor of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. from Jan 13-22.

https://www.unacpeace.org/

Feel free to share this info including the flyer, which can be found at

https://pjw.info/guantanamo21yl_flyer.pdf

The announcement is at

https://pjw.info/guantanamo21yl.html

Thanks
dan handelman

     "30+ People, 21 Years and Many Human Rights Violations in Guantanamo"
                     Friday, January 13, 2023 4:30-6:00 PM
                  Expanded Friday Rally for Peace and Justice
              Pioneer Courthouse Square, SW Yamhill and Broadway

On Friday, January 13, people in Portland will gather at Pioneer
Courthouse Square (SW Yamhill and Broadway) for a rally and march
calling to close down the prison camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The
prison was opened on January 11, 2002, twenty-one years ago. Over 30
people remain there, even though most of the active military aspects of
the "war on terror" have subsided, hundreds of prisoners have been
released, and many have never been charged with a crime. All over the
world, Guantanamo is seen as a blemish on human rights, including its
history of torture and endless incarceration.

Efforts to shut down Guantanamo have been hampered by Congressional
bills prohibiting funds being used to do so. Instead, America spends
hundreds of millions of dollars a year to maintain this site of
injustice.

The Friday Rally for Peace and Justice has been held weekly since
November, 2001. It was hosted for the first 18.5 years by Portland
Peaceful Response Coalition, and since March, 2020 has been coordinated
by Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group. Normally the rally
begins at 5 PM; this event begins at 4:30 to underscore its importance.
Due to the pandemic we ask that participants mask up and stay distanced
for safety.

Event coordinated by Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group,
cosponsored by Amnesty International Group 48.

For more information, especially if your group would like to cosponsor
or endorse this event, contact Peace and Justice Works at 503-236-3065
or iraq at pjw.info.