[pjw] REPORT BACK: small but steady: Friday rally #144 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Dec 24 13:30:13 EST 2022

Hello folks who truly believe in peace on earth

Answer to question #1, yes we did have a Friday Rally for Peace and
Justice last night. Answer to question #2, no, nobody tried driving in the
ice/snow mix. Two of us were there for just over half an hour (no march)
with a third person who came by for just 5 minutes. A few cars honked in
support and one guy thanked us for our persistence in being there in the
nasty weather. But actually, it was a balmy 29 degrees, much improved from
Thursday night's 17.

I did not bring the "bullhorn" anticipating this small turnout, so we just
chatted rather than trying to tell the news to... well, the few people who
were out and about.

--Six non- Iraqis (nationalities not reported) were killed at a US
training facility in an explosion, which could have been an attack or
maybe an accident?

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/19623

--The US launched even more airstrikes in Somalia. At some point
President Biden may surpass Trump in this activity.

  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/12/18/us-launches-more-airstrikes-in-somalia/

--Speaking of which, Biden told a random citizen at an election rally
that the Iran deal is dead and it was caught on camera.

  https://www.axios.com/2022/12/20/biden-iran-nuclear-deal-dead-video

--Given tensions with Russia and thawing relations among some countries
and Syria, the US is giving up and leaving... oh, sorry, I read that
wrong, they have passed a new special law to focus on the "drug trade."

  https://thecradle.co/Article/Analysis/19723

--Over a year since the Taliban took power, the UN decided to delay giving
a seat to Afghanistan. Sure the Taliban is doing awful things, but that
seems to multiply as people disengage. Playing silent treatment on a
global scale will just hurt ordinary Afghans more.

  https://tolonews.com/index.php/afghanistan-181228

In local news, the Portland Police are using three recent shootings near
high schools as an excuse to try erasing everything learned during the
George Floyd uprising and put cops back in the schools.

  https://www.portlandtribune.com/news/school-resource-officers-get-renewed-consideration-after-student-shot-outside-cleveland-high-school/article_15262a0c-7d9a-11ed-8ca4-0f00987e08d8.html

Also:

--Israel has formed a new right wing government, including people who want
to take even more rights away from Palestinians. Will the US realize that
is just as bad (or worse) than some of the countries they shun?

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-netanyahu-forms-new-government-far-right-coalition

--And the Senate passed a new spending bill to avoid shut down, throwing
in $45 billion more for Ukraine (not ALL for weapons) after President
Zelinskyy addressed Congress in person.

  https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3785395-senate-passes-1-7-trillion-omnibus-spending-package/

I noted that the Portland Mercury said it was "gaslighting" for Putin
to respond to US weapons pledges earlier in the week by saying the war
was provoked by NATO's encroachment on Russia's borders. No, it's
"gaslighting" to continually ignore the concerns of the people you're
challenging and demonize them rather than seek resolution. Think about the
demands of Al Qaeda that were linked to 9-11, about getting the US out of
Saudi Arabia (which happened shortly thereafter) and the occupation of
Palestine (which continues despite its fueling so much anti-American
sentiment).
So, we have to wait till next week to see how the Ann Huntwork Sign does.
I only brought a few picket signs on the bus, no wagon or anything.
Hoping for better weather next week and a great holiday season to all.

Thanks