[pjw] REPORT BACK: new year, old stories: Friday rally #145 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Dec 31 15:49:34 EST 2022

Hello IAG supporters

Last night was the last Friday Rally for Peace and Justice of 2022. While
a new year lies ahead, most of the news stories from this year (and years
ago) linger on. We had two new people at the event-- one who was invited
by a regular attendee, and one who happened to wander by and expressed
frustration that war is still an issue in this world.

A total of 11 of us attended. When a new person arrives it's not expected
of them to know to mask up; the new guest and most of the rest of us
stayed masked and distanced with the continuing re-rise of COVID. We had a
LOT of appreciative honks from cars going by.

This week I did not bring the "bullhorn" again... because I forgot it
(even though it's on my checklist). And as reported in more detail below
the latest experiment with the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign had mixed
results.

I'll add here up front that I just heard another news story about the
Russian war on Ukraine going on for most of this year, but I didn't hear
any hand-wringing about the US war-making in 2022.

So, what did we talk about at the rally? Here's a sampling:

--The US released a tally that it killed 466 people in Syria, and 220 in
Iraq in 2022, claiming they were all suspected members of ISIS.

  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/12/29/centcom-says-us-troops-killed-686-suspected-isis-members-in-2022/

--In the third airstrike this month, the US killed six people in Somalia.
Again, where's the news media on this topic?

  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/12/26/africom-says-six-killed-in-latest-somalia-airstrike/

--The outgoing Israeli Defense minister told their defense forces to
expect to attack Iran within 2-3 years.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-tells-graduating-pilots-they-could-be-flying-to-attack-iran-in-2-3-years/

--Iraq's Prime Minister Mohammad Al Sudani is resisting calls from his
fellow countrypeople to push all US troops out. This despite Parliament
voting to do so after the assassination of an Iranian general three years
ago.

  https://thearabweekly.com/iraqi-pm-resists-pressure-pro-iran-allies-end-us-military-presence

--In Syria, ordinary citizens are protesting the US presence by engaging
in tactics such as blocking roads. Did you hear about this on the news?

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/19862

--One of the groups that tracks these threats says the risk of nuclear war
is the greatest since 1945... meaning it's worse now than during the Cuban
missile crisis. Happy new year!!

  https://news.yahoo.com/end-nigh-climate-nuclear-crises-040054643.html

--In Russia, three people at an airfield were killed when Russia shot down
a Ukrainian drone and the debris hit them.

  https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/12/26/ukrainian-drone-downed-russia/

By the way, I had asked a while back whether martial law is still in
effect in Ukraine, that "bastion of democracy" the US is spending another
$40 Billion on this coming year; it is and was extended last month until
February 19:

  https://www.aa.com.tr/en/russia-ukraine-war/ukraine-extends-martial-law-mobilization-for-90-days-until-feb-19/2733341

In local news, the Police Review Board, an internal advisory group made up
of four police officers and three civilians, cleared all the officers
involved in five deadly force incidents from the past couple of years.
They also found two officers guilty of excessive force during the 2020
protests, so, there's that. Portland Copwatch scooped the media (once
again) with its analysis of the latest Report which was released Dec. 10.

  https://www.portlandcopwatch.org/PRBanalysis1222.html

Along the march route I told two stories about Israel/Palestine:

--US Jewish leaders expressed their concern under the new right-wing
government of Israel for women, the LGBTQ community, and even
Palestinians:

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-jewish-leaders-sound-alarm-on-next-government-in-meet-with-top-israeli-diplomat/

--The UN voted overwhelmingly to ask the International Criminal Court to
weigh in on the legality of Israel's occupation. The vote was 87-26
(surprise, two of those were the US and Israel) with 53 abstentions.

  https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/un-vote-israels-occupation-a-victory-palestinians-say-2022-12-31/

As we got back toward the Square, I talked about how the new defense
budget gives $26.3 billion for the Space Force, nearly $2 billion more
than the Pentagon requested. My announcement was met with cries of "and
we've got homeless people here living on the streets!!"

  https://gizmodo.com/space-force-military-budget-biden-spending-bill-1849930946

So, this week was the first time I was able to try turning off the
display light on the generator since doing that allowed the Ann
Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign to stay on for the whole march two weeks ago.
While we did make it all the way around Pioneer Place Mall (hooray!), it
went out as we crossed the street on SW 5th (awwwwww). The mystery
continues.

At the wrap-up, after I relayed that disappointing news, I reminded
everyone that the rally in two weeks begins at 4:30 PM (not 5) and focuses
on the 21st anniversary of Guantanamo.

  https://pjw.info/guantanamo21yl.html

I'll send out a proper reminder early next week / year. :)

peace