[pjw] REPORT BACK: Stealing Afghan Money: Friday rally #99 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Feb 12 19:36:16 EST 2022

Greetings peaceful people

At last night's Friday Rally for Peace and Justice, we were blessed not
only with the sixth consecutive week without rain but with a balmy 64
degree temperature (according to the bank clock). But that blessing is
likely a result of the curse known as climate change, reminding us to end
militarism as one way to reverse the planet's ever-quickening demise.

Anyway, five of us were at the rally, masked up and distanced. We had a
lot of positive feedback from the get-go, with one person telling us they
were from Armenia so they know we don't need another world war
(referencing WW I), and another person seeing the "No war on Russia" signs
said "No war anywhere!" Another said the tensions with Russia were all
misinformation and lies. We continued getting support along the march
route including from folks drinking at a patio table in the street which
has become a staple of pandemic Portland.

I announced that the March 18 rally, "Remembering the Devastating US
Invasion of Iraq 19 Years Later," now has a flyer available which you can
find here:

https://pjw.info/iraq_19yl_flyer.pdf

(I'll be adding a link to that from the website later today.)

Here is some of the news we talked about, with the first item being from
an article I had hope to send out yesterday but provides this week's
subject line:

--President Biden has decided he wants to take half of the $7 billion in
Afghan funds in US banks to provide urgently needed humanitarian aid, with
the other half to be set aside for victims/survivors of 9/11. Since the
narrative of 9/11 says that Al Qaeda conducted the attacks on 9/11 and not
the Taliban, it's incredibly cynical to do this with money that does not
belong to the US. Also known in this article as stealing Afghan funds.

  https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/02/11/biden-afghanistan-currency-taliban/

--While previously expressing interest in ending the war in Yemen, Biden
has pledged to support the Saudis against Yemen rebels. (I meant to also
mention, does the name Jamal Khashoggi mean anything anymore?)

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/9/biden-pledges-us-support-against-houthi-attacks-to-saudi-king

--On the brighter side, the Senate judiciary is calling to take back
authority on drones from President since Congress is supposed to have the
powers to declare war, AND the US public is tiring of militarism

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-senators-question-military-policies-drone-strikes

--In some ways this is a huge relief: As noted previously, Iraq has
finally finished paying reparations to (not a democracy) Kuwait after 31+
years, so now the UN Panel overseeing payment is disbanded

  https://english.alaraby.co.uk/news/un-panel-ends-after-iraq-pays-524-bn-kuwait-invasion

--And in Russia news, Ukraine says diplomacy is more likely than invasion

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-us-warnings-ukraine-says-diplomatic-solution-more-likely-than-russian-attack/

---while the US is spreading more panic by asking all Americans to leave
and saying the invasion will happen this weekend.

  https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/11/biden-tells-us-citizens-to-leave-ukraine-amid-tensions-with-russia.html

--In the Senate, 33 Republicans are saying they plan to block the Iran
deal, claiming it is a treaty that needs a 2/3 vote. For one thing, 67
votes would still win, but for another, if the deal had been a treaty
President Trump couldn't have jumped out of it without a Senate vote.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/8/us-republicans-call-for-review-vote-on-any-iran-nuclear-deal

In local news, I noted that the Portland Police Association contract was
released to the public on Tuesday, and while it contains a few "bones" for
the community, adding a few concessions around the new oversight system,
it leaves a lot of status quo in place such as off-duty work by cops as
security for corporations and the "embarrassment clause" shielding names
of bad cops from the community.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2022/02/08/38347217/city-reaches-tentative-contract-agreement-with-portland-police-union

Along the march route, I relayed the disconcerting news that Israeli law
enforcement killed three suspected militants in West Bank, which were
called "assassinations," and pledged to do more of the same.

  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-says-three-palestinians-killed-in-nablus-accusing-them-of-recent-attacks-1.10599580

Heading back to the Square I noted one of the WORST stories of the week,
which is that congress is trying to appropriate $5 billion more for the
Pentagon than the $25 billion they already added to the National Defense
Authorization Act. With people living in the streets, a healthcare
emergency and more human needs at stake, one question. WHY?

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/defense-appropriations-likely-to-exceed-fiscal-2022-ndaa-levels/ar-AATJPO0

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went out about 20 feet further up the
sidewalk by the Gucci store than it sometimes does, but definitely
needs more counter-measures to stay lit up the whole way.

If you want to join us sometime at the corner of SW Yamhill and Broadway
on a Friday at 5 PM, please do so. Two items on the rally's future:

1) we're watching to see if the TSA and CDC extend masking requirements
past March 18, the current expiration date; and

2) if they do, whether the IAG will continue sponsoring the rally every
week or not; we may move to a once-a-month plus special events model.

We'll keep you posted.