[pjw] NEWS: Security Council to do theatrical vote against Russian attack

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Thu Feb 24 20:12:53 EST 2022

Hello PJW supporters
Most of you have probably heard by now that Russia began bombardment of
various parts of Ukraine late last night, and their troops have (for
reasons I don't really understand) taken control of the nuclear site at
Chernobyl.

A lot of people (me included, but hey, I'm in good company, Noam Chomsky
also doubted it) thought Russia was not going to move forward with a
military assault. But now that it's happened, how can the world hold them
accountable?

The article below illustrates one of the biggest problems with world peace
today: the UN Security Council plans to vote tomorrow to condemn the
Russian invasion, but they know it won't be formally adopted because
**Russia has veto power***. As do four other countries who won World War
II over 75 years ago and thus, I guess, get to do whatever the heck they
want.

Similarly, the US will look kind of hypocritical if they want to ask the
International Criminal Court to prosecute Putin and other Russians for
this, since the US signed onto the court under Bill Clinton, but
"un-signed" that document under GW Bush.

I feel terrible for the people being subjected to lethal violence and hope
that some kind of peaceful resolution prevails before the US, NATO and
others escalate this into a global nuclear war.

I gather that Code Pink and other groups are holding an online rally this
Saturday the 26th:

https://www.codepink.org/ukraine_022622

We will, of course, address this issue front and center at tomorrow's
Friday rally at 5 PM at SW Yamhill and Broadway. Please do mask up if you
come and remember to stay 3-6 feet apart from other folks. We can spread
out to other corners if need be.

This coming on top of the activists who were shot (one of whom was killed)
at a police accountability action in Portland on Saturday is a lot to
process. Hope everyone is staying well and keeping optimistic.

Letha Winston, the mother of Patrick Kimmons (killed by Portland Police in
2018) did an online video two days after the shootings saying the white
supremacist who shot her allies was not going to stop her from marching
and demanding justice. An inspiration.

peace
dan handelman
peace and justice works

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/national-international/un-council-to-vote-on-condemning-invasion-of-ukraine/3157987/
UN Council to Vote on Condemning Invasion of Ukraine
The council is scheduled to vote at 3 p.m. EST Friday.
Published 45 mins ago
Military hardware moved across Crimea, Russia
Sergei MalgavkoTASS via Getty Images

The U.N. Security Council will vote Friday on a resolution that would
condemn Russia’s military aggression against Ukraine “in the strongest
terms.” It also would demand an immediate halt to Russia’s invasion and
the withdrawal of all Russian troops.

A senior U.S. official says the Biden administration knows the measure
will be vetoed by Russia, but believes it is very important to put the
resolution to a vote to underscore Russia’s international isolation.
0:43
Protest Against Russian Invasion of Ukraine Held in Times Square

Dozens gathered in New York City’s Times Square to protest Russia’s
invasion of Ukraine.

The official says the council vote will be followed by a resolution voted
on quickly in the 193-member U.N. General Assembly where there are no
vetoes.

The final draft resolution, obtained Thursday by The Associated Press,
would reaffirm the council’s commitment “to the sovereignty, independence,
unity, and territorial integrity of Ukraine within its internationally
recognized borders.”

The council is scheduled to vote at 3 p.m. EST Friday.