[pjw] REPORT BACK: No War Anywhere: Friday rally #101 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Feb 26 16:45:58 EST 2022

Hi Iraq Affinity Group supporters

We were approached at last night's Friday Rally for Peace and Justice by a
few people who wondered why we had signs saying "No War on Russia" rather
than "No War in Ukraine," which is why I made the subject line "No War
Anywhere." We have to be clear that what Russia is doing in Ukraine is
wrong, but also that we have no influence over the Russian government but
(nominally) do have influence here in the US.

So, seven of us were out at the rally last night, including two PJW folks
who hadn't been for about two and six months, respectively, so that was
good! We were masked up and distanced-- see the note below about the new
CDC guidelines. Feeling a little more emboldened, I'll not it was the
eighth week in a row without rain. While we did get skeptics and critics,
we also drew a lot of support with cars honking their horns and people
signaling their approval (including people at a sidewalk bar table raising
their drinks toward us).

At the rally's open I announced the March 18 rally, "Remembering the
Devastating US Invasion of Iraq 19 Years Later":

Since it was a slow news week we went home early. JUST KIDDING. We mostly
talked about the Russia/Ukraine situation, thusly:

--The US is sending 7000 troops to Germany, meaning they'll has sent
a total of 12,000 to Europe recently.

  https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/24/russian-invasion-decapitating-ukraine-government-00011404

--NATO mobilized its "collective defense force" in eastern Europe for the
first time

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/25/nato-allies-to-provide-more-weapons-to-ukraine-stoltenberg-says

--Germany has put international security above its financial interests
(and pausing more fossil fuel burning) buy halting the Nordsream gas
pipeline Russia was going to start using soon to supply them with fuel.

  https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-crisis-germany-halts-nord-stream-2-approval/a-60867443

--Russian civilians are protesting the war at great risk to themselves,
but this is very important given my above comment that Americans have no
say in this.

  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/02/25/russian-protesters-war-ukraine/6939242001/

--For this piece, first I put in a commentary that saying "The President
of Ukraine is Jewish so they can't be a neo-Nazi country" is like saying
"the police chief in Portland is Black so the Portland Police can't be
racist." One needs to do institutional analysis. So, in addition to the
vote at the UN we talked about a few weeks ago where the only two
countries who didn't vote for a resolution denouncing Nazism were the US
and Ukraine, apparently a neo-Nazi militia was allowed to merge into
Ukraine's National Guard shortly after the Russian takeover of Crimea.

  https://www.vox.com/2022/2/24/22948944/putin-ukraine-nazi-russia-speech-declare-war

--Getting back to the questions of how to hold Russia accountable, earlier
I noted how the US isn't part of the International Criminal Court because
Bill Clinton signed on but GW Bush unsigned the agreement. I did not
remember that in 2016, Russia followed suit and quit the ICC too.

  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/16/russia-withdraws-international-criminal-court-afte/

--In more "world powers refuse to allow themselves to be held accountable"
news, the vote at the Security Council yesterday led to a veto from
Russia as expected. I didn't know this at the rally, but here's the scoop:
11-0-3 plus one veto; the abstentions were China, India and the UAE:

  https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/npr-news/2022-02-25/russia-vetoes-un-security-council-resolution-that-denounces-its-invasion-of-ukraine

In other news, the US carried out its first airstrikes in Somalia since
August, claiming there were no civilian casualties (but do we believe
them?)

  https://www.theswitzerlandtimes.com/the-united-states-carries-out-its-first-airstrike-in-somalia-since-august/

In local news, I talked about the shooting that happened last Saturday at
the rally for Black Lives. We now know the shooter was a right winger and
likely white supremacist who demanded the protestors get out from in front
of his apartment. When they said no, he pulled a gun and shot five people,
killing one woman and injuring three other people. One of the protestors
shot back, wounding the shooter in the hip. That person wisely turned
himself in to the police and handed over his gun-- thus not only
supporting his claim of self defense but lowering the likelihood the cops
would kill him on sight. Ever since Charlottesville (and certainly before,
but more heightened since then) it's been clear there are people who are
willing to use violence when they disagree with progressive protests. Be
safe out there.

Here's a relatively early but more comprehensive than most story from the
Portland Mercury about the incident.

  https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2022/02/22/38645257/suspected-shooter-in-normandale-park-mass-shooting-identified

Along the march route I reminded everyone that last week Israeli forces
killed a 17 year old in the West Bank. This year they killed a 14 year old
boy. The escalation in the West Bank has gone mostly unnoticed with all
the other things happening in the world.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-soldiers-kill-14-year-old-bethlehem

And as we came to the final block back to the square, I noted that US
defense stocks went up in value after the Russians began attacking
Ukraine. Rich people love their wars.

  https://www.yahoo.com/now/us-defense-stocks-rally-russia-144713248.html

And the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went out a few feet early this
week, going blank right as we got to the corner where the Pioneer Place
Mall is rather than by the Gucci store. It's kind of like that toilet
handle you know you have to jiggle at this point, I don't really have
enough time to fix it so I'm just living with it.

Anyway, who knows what this week will bring in terms of developments on
the global stage. We welcome folks to join us any Friday at 5 PM.

NOTE: The CDC has announced lifting of mask mandates taking place soon,
and Oregon is lifting its mandates on March 19, the day after our special
event on Iraq. HOWEVER, the mask mandate for public transportation
remains, so for now our guidelines will remain in place on masking up at
the rallies (and at our office).

Peace