[pjw] REPORT BACK: brazen lawlessness: Friday rally #139 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Nov 19 17:11:10 EST 2022

Iraq Affinity Group supporters

Last night we had eight people at the Friday Rally for Peace and Justice,
including a new person who wandered upon us, grabbed a sign, and expressed
their enthusiasm by marching ahead (not knowing the route), climbing on
benches, and shouting anti-imperialist concepts to passers-by. I think they
were high... on life?

The "regulars" remained masked up and distanced, enjoying a break from the
rain while the temperatures have started to get uncomfortably cold. There
weren't as many people honking horns and giving thumbs-ups as usual, but
we were able to hand out quite a few fact sheets and have discussions with
a few folks who stopped to talk.

Here are some of the things we talked about at the rally:

--As the G20 rich countries met, they could not all agree to condemn
Russia's invasion of Ukraine, so their joint declaration acknowledges
differing views; in particular, China, India, Brazil and Indonesia, who
are not taking part in sanctions, did not want to cross Russia.

  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/11/16/g20-declaration-says-most-members-condemn-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

--As noted earlier this week, the missile that landed in Poland was likely
from Ukraine, though their government is disputing that likelihood.

  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ukraine-allies-clash-poland-blast-biden-evidence-putin-war-rcna57631

--Perhaps as a good sign that Iraq is really moving toward independence
from the US, the new Prime Minister's government plans to continue with
oil deals struck with China and Russia back in 2019. OilPrice.com uses
some weird language in this article.

  https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Iraqs-New-Prime-Minister-Doubles-Down-On-Oil-Gas-Deals-With-China-And-Russia.html

--This week there was another rocket attack at US military base in Syria
with no injuries. Are you getting tired of hearing me ask: "Why does the
US have military bases in Syria?"?

  https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/rocket-attack-targeting-green-village-base-northeast-syria-statement-2022-11-17/

--Human Rights watch is calling for an investigation into US raids in
Afghanistan.

  https://tolonews.com/index.php/afghanistan-180790

--North Korea fired another missile-- after the US and the South engaged
in more wargames. Let me spell this for you President Biden:
D-E-E-S-C-A-L-A-T-E.

  https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/world/seoul-north-korea-fires-ballistic-missile-toward-sea/ar-AA14cmPy

--Although the International Atomic Energy Agency investigated and found
no outstanding issues, the US did not like what they wrote about nuclear
particles found in Iran, and pushed the IAEA to put more pressure on the
Iranians... conveniently making the nuclear deal less likely.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-nuclear-watchdog-issues-condemnation-of-iran-for-lack-of-cooperation/

--The US has decided that Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Salman of Saudi Arabia
can enjoy diplomatic immunity when it comes to the murder of reporter
Jamal Kashoggi. Just outrageous.

  https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/politics/saudi-crown-prince-immunity-state-department-jamal-khashoggi/index.html

In local news, the person wounded by the PPB last week was revealed to be
Antoine Young, 33. Portland Copwatch discovered he is a young Black man,
the first Black Portlander to be shot by the PPB in almost four years.
(Sort-of update: The PPB shot another person early this morning!)

  https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2022/11/police-identify-man-they-shot-after-he-set-fire-to-car-in-se-portland.html
  http://www.mcso.us/PAID/Home/Booking/1549262

Along the march route, I talked about how far-right leader Itama Ben Gvir
has pushed Benjamin Netanyahu to declare many West Bank settlements are
legally part of Israel, something the US said they would push back
against previously.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-agrees-to-ben-gvir-demand-to-partially-roll-back-disengagement/

And in terms of money spent on war rather than for human needs, this media
outlet in Scotland reports that the richest countries are spending 30
times more on the military than on fixing the climate.

  https://theferret.scot/military-spending-outstripping-climate-finance/

The Ann Huntwork Sign froze up for about half a block by the Pioneer Place
Mall but then went out altogether. As predicted, there was no problem with
it out at the Keaton Otis vigil last week.

Speaking of which, one of that vigil's mainstays was absent because they
came down with COVID, meaning now four people in my immediate activist
circle have been infected in the last four weeks. Remember to stay safe!
This is particularly important next week, when the holiday tree lighting
returns to the Square and there could be a huge crowd. We will once again
have signs decrying the sting operation against Somali teen Mohammed
Mohamud which happened (checks calendar) 12 years ago!!!

peace