[pjw] REPORT BACK: 32 years in Iraq: Friday rally #148 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jan 21 16:56:56 EST 2023

Hi again IAG supporters

It's a little tricky listing how many people were at the Friday Rally for
Peace and Justice last night. There were assuredly six of us at the rally
during the announcements; prior to that one person asked if they could
_have_ a sign, we said they could hold it if they hang out with us. They
did, while eating a snack, then left. Along the march route two other
people had to take off. So the march ended with just four of us.

We had very few acknowledgments from people driving by, but a number of
folks (other than the sign-holder) stopped to talk or make a quick
comment. One who saw my Police Accountability sign said "f-- the police"
which isn't quite what we were going for but we took it as support.

So what did we talk about?

First I noted that Monday the 16th was the 32nd anniversary of the "Gulf
War" after George HW Bush gave Iraq a deadline to get out of Kuwait. That
deadline was actually Jan 15, which was Martin Luther King Jr's actual
birthday. So he waited a whole day and then bombed Iraq's infrastructure--
electricity, water and sewage plants. Hmm, seems like people are pretty
upset that Russia's doing that in Ukraine, but it was ok for Americans
because our cause is just (just what I don't know).

Anyway, the US kept the war going in the form of bombing and sanctions
which killed well over 1/2 million children, then when the reality of what
sanctions was making for bad P.R. and 9/11 had happened, George Bush Jr
decided he'd have a go at it by bombing Iraq again and invading in 2003.
We will focus more on that war at our March 17 rally, to be titled "20
Years Later, the US is Still in Iraq" (subtitle: "End the F35 Fighter Jet
Program).

Also

--Iraqi Prime Minister Sudani said it was ok for the US troops to stay in
the county, on the anniversary of the 1991 war.

  https://news.antiwar.com/2023/01/15/iraqi-prime-minister-supports-open-ended-us-troop-presence/

--The CIA director secretly visited Ukraine to deliver so-called
intelligence about Russia directly to President Zelenskyy.

  https://archive.vn/qKdL3
  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/01/19/cia-william-burns-zelensky-ukraine-russia/

--The US military worked with Syrian Kurds to conduct a helicopter raid
and capture an alleged ISIS member. Can you imagine if Syria had bases
here and launched a raid to capture an armed militia member in the US?

  https://apnews.com/article/islamic-state-group-syria-48101281f0072e062a18519c0c25c61d

--China and the US agreed that communication is needed to avoid conflict,
while the US continues to label Russia (and China) as enemies and build up
military resources surrounding Asia.

  https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3818024-us-chinese-officials-vow-improved-communication-to-avoid-conflict/

--Our own Senator Wyden has called for a probe into law enforcement using
a database on money transfers by ordinary Americans without permission or
oversight.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/18/us-senator-calls-for-probe-into-law-enforcement-mass-surveillance

--It has been reported that Saudi airstrikes killed 155 civilians in Yemen
last year, even though most of the year had a ceasefire in place.

  https://mailchi.mp/60ff81639e32/january2023-yemen-data-project-update-13652849?e=76efe5788e

--Activists held a tribunal this past week for Julian Assange in
Washington DC. I'm pretty sure the outcome was a request that the US drop
all charges, but this was an activist run tribunal with no teeth

  https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/w/activists-hold-international-tribunal-case-julian-assange

In local news, the Portland Police are about to present their annual
report on their work with the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force on Wednesday.
I will be speaking on behalf of PJW and Portland Copwatch, along with a
number of our allies who've been working on this issue since (checks
notes) November 2000.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/report/accept-ppb-2023-jttf-report

Along the route I noted that the Interior Minister of Israel was ruled to
be disqualified due to his history of corruption and criminal convictions.
His right wing supporters threatened to quit parliament if he was removed.
If only-- I heard today that instead Netanyahu is planning to dismantle
the Court's authority.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-minister-dery-high-court-ruling

As we headed back to the Square, regarding money for human needs, I
relayed that an article said of about $50 billion the US sent to Ukraine
in 2022, more than half was for military use. The article compares this to
the US eventually spending the equivalent of $1 billion in Viet Nam, and
notes that military might won't end the war. Maybe instead we can feed,
house, and educate people and fix the dying planet?

  https://news.yahoo.com/us-military-spending-ukraine-reached-133743940.html

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign froze again at the Gucci store, then
went out as we turned the corner (a few yards earlier than last week).. On
an on the gremlins go.

As always, we welcome your participation if you can mask up and keep
distanced while we make a visible presence for peace.

thanks