[pjw] REPORT BACK: Three (of 21.5) Years: Friday rally #157 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Mar 25 16:02:26 EDT 2023

Hello IAG supporters

Last night's Friday rally marked exactly three years since the Peace and
Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group took over sponsorship of the Friday
Rally for Peace and Justice from Portland Peaceful Response Coalition, two
weeks after the national emergency around the pandemic was declared. As
with our predecessors, we've been there rain or shine, snow or smog,
getting the word out for nonviolent conflict resolution and changes to US
policy. Last night seven of us rallied and six marched (with one dropping
off, leaving five at the end). That reminded me that just two of us were
there for the first PJW Friday rally (though we were a bit late that day
and missed a third who'd showed up and left). It rained/hailed on us for a
few unpleasant minutes but we welcomed it in the sense that water is
life.

We had a lot of supportive honks, perhaps the 20 year anniversary of the
Iraq war being in the news and ongoing ratcheting up of what looks like a
hot "cold war" is making our message more popular. Well, we did get one
person who flipped us off. Another person along the way said "we've been
out of Iraq and Iran for years... well, I don't read the news, maybe I
don't know, sorry I said that."

I don't think we handed out any literature, maybe partly because of the
rain.

So what was the news we talked about this week?

--The US killed 14 people in Syria after a drone strike killed one
contractor. Where to start. (A) Why is the US in Syria. (B) Why not do an
investigation and take the people who committed the crime to court? (C)
How's a 14:1 ratio in any way just or balanced even if you believe in war?

  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-65061880

---Also in Syria, Israel struck the airport again despite continued need
to support people after the earthquake last month. And nobody seems to be
able to stop these attacks or hold Israel accountable.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-syria-strikes-hit-aleppo-airport-second-time-month

--After the incident where Russian planes dumped fuel on a US drone that
then crashed into the Black Sea, the US has decided to not fly its drones
so close to Russian airspace. Wow, you don't say! What a concept.

  https://www.businessinsider.com/us-military-fly-drones-away-from-russia-less-provocative-report-2023-3

--Former ruler of the American colonies England is sending depleted
uranium weapons to Ukraine. Despite their known harmful effects of the
radioactivity of these weapons to humans and environment, the Brits are
scoffing at Russia saying this is turning the war into a nuclear war.

  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65032671

--Last weekend, hundreds of people marched on DC marking 20 years of the
Iraq war. I didn't find mainstream US coverage but did find this in the
Chinese press.

  https://english.news.cn/20230319/13d6befb362d4ab5a62469e0aea3847f/c.html

---And while the Senate didn't vote this week on repealing the 1991 and
2003 Iraq war authorizations, it's expected to pass on a 70-30 vote, with
Republicans split on the issue.

  https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/22/republicans-iraq-war-00088411

--Probably further flustering the US, Iran's president is going to visit
Saudi Arabia's king soon. America should really think about labeling
people their enemies, because it just pushes them closer together
(China/Russia, Iran/Saudi Arabia) creating blocs to fight WW III.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/iranian-president-raisi-welcomes-invite-saudi-king-following-detente

Along the march route I mentioned that the US summoned the Israeli
ambassador, asking them to explain a new law that reversed the abandonment
of illegal settlements. Not to stop the law, just to explain it, but
still, showing displeasure is a step I guess.

  https://www.newarab.com/news/us-rare-rebuke-israel-ambassador-over-settlement-law

---Also, only 57% of Israelis reservists have shown up for duty as the
country ponders taking away the independence of its judiciary. Those who
are no-shows could face jail time.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-more-reservists-refuse-to-serve-idf-said-seeing-drop-in-troops-reporting-for-duty/

Near the end of the march, it was time to contrast US spending priorities
with the ideal of giving health care, housing and other needs to people.
Joint Chiefs of Staff head Gen. Milley told Congress their proposed $842
billion budget prepares us to both deter and fight a war with China.

  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/pentagon-budget-readies-us-china-confrontation-98073526

The giant cardboard sign wasn't at the rally this week and the Ann
Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign stayed on for the same time period, until we
rounded the corner. So, it's still random. For those of you who didn't see
this in the media yet (and it's getting a LOT of press), the Apple Store
has taken down most of the fencing they put up during the Black Lives
Matter uprising. Still looks like a capitalist zoo, though.

  https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/downtown-portland-apple-store-barrier-walls-removed/283-fe31a1b7-61ea-4309-a480-147a02fa7173

It looks like we'll be continuing to request that people mask up for the
rallies, but it's always been a suggestion. A member of the peace
community reported they didn't make it to the Iraq anniversary event
because they got COVID. And 250 people still die each day in the USA from
the disease.

  https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

But we welcome your presence if you have the time and inclination to join
us, please do.

peace