[pjw] UPDATE: Meeting is on + NEWS: US says it concluded its anti-ISIS campaign in Libya (AP 12/21)

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Jan 9 12:27:02 EST 2017

Hi again Iraq Affinity Group supporters

All indications are that the rain should wash away the ice and snow by
mid-afternoon today, so we're on to have the Iraq Affinity Group meeting
tonight at 7 PM at the office (2807 SE Stark). Note that our landlord
recently posted "Parking only for..." signs but that only applies during
their business hours, so you can in fact still park in the lot for our
evening meetings and mailings.

Meanwhile, I forgot to send out this piece of news I ran across last week
when compiling information for the meeting. Did you know that the US'
second war on Libya was over? It seems the new war ended as quietly as it
started... at least in the USA.

I sent another article out to this list back on August 7, about the
bombing which started on August 1:
  US Says New Bombing Campaign Against ISIS in Libya Has No "End Point"
  (Intercept 8/1)
https://theintercept.com/2016/08/01/u-s-says-new-bombing-campaign-against-isis-in-libya-has-no-end-point-at-this-particular-moment/

From the new article, below:
    "In a statement released on Tuesday, The United States Africa Command
    says that it carried out 495 airstrikes..."

495 strikes in 143 days is about 3 per day. Did you ever hear about this
on the news?

dan h

  http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/us-says-it-concluded-its-anti-isis-campaign-in-libya
U.S. says it concluded its anti-ISIS campaign in Libya
    By: [61]The Associated Press, December 21, 2016

    CAIRO Ñ The U.S. says it has concluded its campaign against the Islamic
    State group's affiliate in Libya after the downfall of the group in its
    only remaining foothold in the chaotic North African country.

    In a statement released on Tuesday, The United States Africa Command
    says that it carried out 495 airstrikes against militant vehicles and
    positions in the former ISIS stronghold of Sirte.

    It said that the U.S. will continue to help Libyans "counter the
    evolving threat" of ISIS.

    U.S. warplanes intervened in August after the fight against IS had
    stalled. The assault led by militias from the adjacent city of Misrata
    started in June and ended this month with the announcement that IS
    forces in Sirte had been vanquished.