[pjw] EVENT/RSVP: "Iraq 15 Years Later: Forever War?" Rally & March, Fri 3/16 5:00 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Mar 12 12:52:20 EDT 2018

Hello again PJW supporters

Time flies-- we sent out this announcement on January 25, then mentioned
this Friday's upcoming PPRC Friday rally in the PJW Update that went out
by email on Feb. 13. Now we're 4 days away from the rally and march.

If there's anyone on this list that thinks they can help hold up about 50
pounds of weight while we roll the tower of peace down the ramp at Pioneer
Courthouse Square let me know-- the sidewalks don't have enough overhead
clearance and the ramp isn't wide enough for the size of the wheel base.
If I can't recruit anyone I may just skip using the tower. If someone CAN
help hold that weight (it will take less than 5 minutes during the rally)
I will also need someone to come in during the week to help string up Iraq
banners into the tower. So, let me know.

Anyway, also with the theme of "time flies," as I have been telling people
about this Friday's rally marking 15 years since the Iraq War (actual
anniversary is March 19) almost everyone has said "really, it's been that
long already?" Yes, yes it has.

Reminder to that the IAG meeting is tonight at 7 PM.

OK, let me know, and see you Friday?
--dan h

--------

Peace and Justice Works
    Iraq Affinity Group
    PO Box 42456
    Portland, OR   97242
    (503) 236-3065  (Office)
    iraq at pjw.info
    http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

Calendar Item

For Immediate Release   March 12, 2018

"Iraq 15 Years Later: Forever War?"
Friday, March 16, 2018
5:00 PM
Expanded Portland Peaceful Response Coalition Friday Rally
Pioneer Courthouse Square, SW Yamhill and Broadway

Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is co-sponsoring the Friday,
March 16 Portland Peaceful Response Coalition (PPRC) Friday Rally with the
theme "Iraq 15 Years Later: Forever War?." The rally begins at 5 PM at
Pioneer Courthouse Square, SW Yamhill and Morrison, with a march around
downtown beginning at about 5:20 PM. The US invaded Iraq on March 19,
2003. Even though most of the troops were withdrawn in 2011, they never
left completely. Even with the US' war against the Islamic State (August
2014-present) being declared a victory with the devastating US/Iraqi
military attack on Mosul, there are now roughly 5000 troops in Iraq as
"advisors," drone and conventional aircraft bombings, and, with the
world's largest embassy, an unending occupation.

Although March 2018 marks 15 years since the Iraq War began, one also can
look at January 1991-- the start of "Gulf War Part 1"-- as the start of
what has now been over 27 years of US hostilities in Iraq. Even though
candidate Donald Trump condemned the 2003 decision to invade and attack
Iraq, in 2017 President Trump told NBC: "We should've kept the oil when we
got out"-- signalling his long-term intentions for US presence there. Join
the rally to say "no more war-- bring all the troops home now!"

For more information information or to endorse or otherwise support this
event contact Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group at 503-236-3065
or iraq at pjw.info ; PPRC's weekly rally has been ongoing since November,
2001 (<http://pprc-news.info/node/3>). Information for the March 16 event,
including a flyer, can be found at <http://www.pjw.info/iraq15yl.html>.