[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #39 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Dec 19 13:27:04 EST 2020

Greetings supporters of peace and justice

The 999th Friday Rally for Peace and Justice last night began with a
five-person crowd under dry skies and ended with three marchers as the
rain began to fall. We had a semi-regular heckler, an African American man
who is obsessed with his support for President Trump but never seems to
believe us when we say how many drone strikes, airstrikes and military
provocations his Nobel Peace Prize nominee has undertaken. But we also had
plenty of people honking horns and even one woman parking her car
along the march route who said "thank you for what you're doing!" We
stayed masked up and a safe distance apart.

As usual we used the rally and march to educate the public (and each
other) about local, national and international issues of concern. These
are some of the headlines we covered:

As much as people joke about the President being chummy with Russian
leader Vladimir Putin, the US has continued its rivalry with that country,
including imposing sanctions on US allies who buy Russian weapons. After
over a year of debate, the Treasury Department decided to put sanctions on
Turkey.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-turkey-sanctions-russia-s400-missile-system

This info came shortly after I saw words I was hoping never to see in the
news again after hundreds of thousands of deaths 1990-2003: US
warns Iraq of sanctions, in this case due to proposed Russian arms
purchases. (I hope this URL works for you, it has a comma in it, which is
very unusual.)

https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/story/23616-US-warns-Iraq-of-sanctions,-if-it-buys-Russian-military-equipment

Our new semi-regular attendee tipped me off to this long story in the
Intercept about death squads in Afghanistan organized by the CIA. I
reflected on how the US created such death squads among locals to do their
dirty work in Latin America in the 1980s. The article indicates this is
part of the US strategy of how to put down "terrorism" after the troop
withdrawal.

https://theintercept.com/2020/12/18/afghanistan-cia-militia-01-strike-force/

Speaking of which, as noted last week both chambers of Congress had
veto-proof majorities to pass the (bloated) defense bill, which includes a
requirement of (United States) national security review in order to pull
more troops out of Afghanistan. Trump has threatened to veto the
National Defense Authorization Act because of this provision, even though
it means Congress will likely, in a rare move, over-ride a Presidential
veto.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-again-threatens-to-veto-defense-bill-amid-standoff-with-congress/ar-BB1c10ZG

In local news, I talked about the Portland Police Bureau's annual report,
which under the US Dept. of Justice Settlement Agreement has to come out
each year, including presentations in each of the city's three police
precinct areas and one to City Council. The idea is to promote
transparency and community engagement. However, there were no precinct
presentations this year and the Council agenda item lasted for exactly 8
minutes on Wednesday, including the introduction and the vote to accept
the report. No public input was taken despite Portland Copwatch asking in
advance for that to happen.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/778697

To contextualize the next story I talked about how we regularly examine
US-Israeli relations and Israel's occupation of Palestine, which is based
on the analysis of (selectively chosen) geopolitical concerns by the US,
where their interest in Israel strategically outweighs human rights. To
criticize Israeli policy, I noted, is not anti-semitic. I felt that was
necessary to say when I noted that (a) the US has a special antisemitism
monitor (who knew?) and (b) Congress has decided to make that position an
ambassadorship.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-senate-passes-bill-elevating-anti-semitism-monitor-to-ambassador/

Along the route where PPRC member Herschel always used to raise
Israel/Palestine issues, I brought up a specific story. Focusing on one
major area of the human rights abuses (and flaunting of many UN
resolutions), I noted that the Israeli Knesset (parliament) voted (in what
appears to be the first of three steps to make it law) to legalize 65
settlements in Palestinian territories. This despite an Israeli high court
previously ruling this is illegal.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/knesset-advances-legislation-to-legalize-provide-utilities-to-wildcat-outposts/

When we got to the spot to talk about money for human needs, not war, I
noted that an appeals court overturned a federal judge's ruling that had
said Trump could not spend money that wasn't appropriated for the purpose
on his border wall. The appeals court threw that out, saying the
organizations who filed suit didn't have legal standing.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/528878-appeals-court-oks-white-house-diverting-military-funding-to-border

As part of the rally I also made announcements of upcoming events, three
of which are specially themed Friday rallies (and one of which I haven't
shared out yet as we just decided this on Monday).

Friday December 25, 5 PM Friday Rally:
   1000th rally & march for peace and justice!!
   Watch the promo video:
   https://youtu.be/9vRqxgS0B9Q

Friday, January 8, 4:30 PM Friday Rally (early start time):
   "No More Excuses: Shut Down Guantanamo!"
   http://www.pjw.info/guantanamo19yl.html

Tuesday, January 12, 7:00 PM streaming event on YouTube:
   "Illustrating Imprisonment: Sarah Mirk Presents 'Guantanamo Voices'"
   http://www.pjw.info/guantanamo_smirk011221.html

Friday, January 15, 5 PM Friday Rally:
   "30 Years Too Long: US Out of Iraq"
   marking 30 years since the start of the "Gulf War."

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign stayed on until the middle of
the block between 4th/5th on Yamhill, the south side of mall, one block
more than the last two weeks. I tried to get a TV station that was doing a
live report with the holiday tree in the background to pay attention to
the sign and the upcoming 1000th rally, but the camera operator was
clearly unimpressed.

Anyway, whether or not you can make it down for that inauspicious event
next Friday, and if you are in the position to do so, please consider an
end-of-year donation to PJW. We always appreciate it!

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
    Iraq Affinity Group
    PO Box 42456