[pjw] Reminder: Emergency action if the US starts a new war......

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun Dec 20 18:05:12 EST 2020

Hi

I know there are plenty of things giving everyone anxiety these days but
as President Trump continues to tear everything (except the border wall)
down on his way out the door, there are many who are concerned there could
be a war launched on (you pick) Iran, Venezuela, North Korea, Russia
and/or China.

These last two are particularly of concern with the story about hacked
government sites and congress and President-Elect Biden talking about
retaliation (instead of, I don't know, taking the case to court or
something), and Trump is trying to blame China.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-downplays-russia-hack-first-comments-massive-breach-implicates-china-n1251813

All of this is compounded by the news from a few days ago that the
Pentagon has stopped briefing the Biden team.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/12/18/biden-team-says-theyve-met-resistance-and-limited-cooperation-within-pentagon/?sh=1e6d1c775666

While the following COVID update to the ongoing emergency call to action
is posted on our website, I could not find an email where I listed it, so
please keep this in mind in case such a horrible thing should happen--
let's hope we don't have to use it.

dan handelman
peace and justice works

----------------------

http://pjw.info/ongoingvigils.html#Emergency

EMERGENCY RALLY PLANS:

There is a longstanding call to action that when the US begins bombing a
new country*, there will be an emergency rally the day of the bombing at 4
PM at Terry Schrunk Plaza, SW 4th and Madison in Portland. However if the
bombing occurs after 4 PM, the rally will happen the following day.

This plan is still in effect under COVID but our plan is to ensure that
participants spread out and wear face coverings.

We also welcome those who wish to create a car caravan near Terry Schrunk
to do so.

And, we encourage people to set up neighborhood emergency protests (if you
feel comfortable doing so), and let us know about them.

*-Note, this also applies to countries where the US maintains an
occupation or low-level war (such as Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia,
Pakistan, Libya or Syria) where a new escalation begins. For example, in
2018 when the US began bombing Syria, which appeared to be an escalation
to a broader war, an emergency rally was held.