[pjw] RSVP/ PJW UPDATE: Our new newsletter & Feb 21 annual meeting

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Thu Jan 7 17:34:12 EST 2021

PJW supporters

I'm somewhere between breathing a sigh of relief and holding my breath to
see what happens next between now and Jan. 20 and also what might happen
on that day. Also still struggling between "those people should not have
been able to get into the Capitol" and "we don't condone the use of
violence to enforce state power." I heard one congressperson say "using
violence to resolve our differences is not what this country is about." I
guess they need some history lessons.

Anyway, below is the text of the December 28 PJW UPDATE, our twice yearly
newsletter that you may have received via snail mail recently. We sent the
newsletter to a limited list of people; some folks received a much shorter
postcard version. If you didn't get either mailing and want to receive
stuff from us in the mail, let us know.

This is also acting as another reminder for tomorrow's Friday rally about
Guantanamo (starting early at 4:30) and Tuesday's Sarah Mirk event (noted
in the newsletter). The annual meeting isn't until Feb. 21 so we'll send
out another reminder before then but if you know you're going to attend
and want to RSVP now that will work.

It's a good time for people in our different project groups, general PJW
members and the board to meet and keep up to date. We begin with an
informal discussion at noon with a meeting from 12:30-2:15 PM.

If for any reason you want to see the full laid-out newsletter online
(with graphics, italics, etc) let me know and I can send you a special
link.

Thanks!

dan handelman
secretary
peace and justice works

------------

PJW UPDATE  December 28, 2020

Dear Peace and Justice Works members, volunteers, and supporters:

PEACE AND JUSTICE WORKS' 29th ANNUAL MEETING
Sunday, February 21, 2021
12 noon (conversation); 12:30 PM (meeting)
*Conference call- contact us for info*

We welcome you to join Peace and Justice Works for our 29th annual meeting
on Sunday, February 21. Our meeting will be held by conference call--
contact us by phone or email to get login info. It will begin with casual
conversation at 12 noon, followed by the business meeting from 12:30-2:15
PM.

The proposed agenda includes:

--updates on 2020/2021 activities from Affinity Groups (Iraq, Copwatch,
other);

--election of board of directors and officers*

(Nominees: Shelley Bedell, President/Authorized Check Signer [ACS]; Dan
Handelman, Secretary/ACS; Linda Tomassi, ACS; Jocelyn McAuley, ACS; and
Alice Mott nominated to replace Desiree Hellegers);

--financial report, office updates, volunteer outreach.

These general meetings are generally good places to get info about the
group and find out how you can be part of PJW's active work.

* Voting members: if you got this in the mail and the mailing sticker says
"PM" or "VM" (paid/volunteer member) and the date is 1/21 or earlier, you
need to renew. If you read this newsletter electronically check your
status with us.

Iraq Affinity Group Plans Two Events Around Guantanamo Anniversary

PJW's Iraq Affinity Group (IAG) continues to educate the public on the
effects of US policy in the "Middle East" and elsewhere. Since late March,
we've hosted the weekly Friday Rally for Peace and Justice, which had its
1000th iteration on December 25. Thanks to Portland Peaceful Response
Coalition, which hosted for the first 18.5 years! On Friday, January 8 the
theme of the Friday rally (at Pioneer Courthouse Square/SW Yamhill &
Broadway) will be "No More Excuses: Shut Down Guantanamo!" January marks
19 years since the US prison opened, perhaps creating more "terrorism"
than it prevented. We're starting that event 1/2 hour earlier than usual,
at 4:30 PM. As with all our gatherings we ask people to wear a face
covering and stay a safe distance apart-- and only come if you feel safe
doing so. The Jan. 8 rally will be used to promote a live online event
with local author Sarah Mirk, whose book features 12 diverse artists
telling the notorious prison's story. The event, "Illustrating
Imprisonment: Sarah Mirk Presents 'Guantanamo Voices,'" will be streamed
on YouTube on Tuesday January 12 at 7 PM. There will be a Q&A period at
the end.

We're also setting aside the Friday rally on January 15 to mark 30 years
since the "Gulf War" began in 1991 (the main impetus for us to create our
group) and on March 19 to mark 18 years since the 2003 US invasion of
Iraq.

The IAG cosponsored the Physicians for Social Responsibility Hiroshima Day
event in August; a link to the video can be found on our website. We also
used the Friday rally to mark anniversaries of the wars in Syria and
Afghanistan in September/October, and held a special visibility action at
the end of the Burnside Bridge on the eve of the 19th anniversary of the
Afghan war in early October.  All of the outdoor events since June have
featured the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign, a digital readerboard
carrying messages against US militarism/occupations and against police
brutality.

Portland Copwatch Continues Campaigns Against Police Spying, For
Accountability

Our police accountability affinity group Portland Copwatch (PCW) has been
buoyed by the national interest in police issues after George Floyd's
murder by Minneapolis police. With community partners, PCW has put new
energy into campaigns around the Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF)* and
the Portland Police Association (PPA) contract. While pushing to end
cooperation between Portland Police and the JTTF, we and others are
preparing to respond in January to the Bureau's required annual report.

A December 10 community letter to City Council signed by over 30 groups
proposed specific changes to be made to the PPA contract, including some
needed to institute Portland's new civilian oversight system. A November
ballot measure adding that system to the City's Charter passed with 82% of
the vote; designing and implementing the changes are expected to take
until mid-2022. Meanwhile, PCW continues to monitor the "Independent"
Police Review and its Citizen Review Committee, hoping they get supported
up until the new system is ready to operate.

PCW also tracks the US Department of Justice Settlement Agreement designed
to make the police use less force, especially against people in mental
health crisis. The monitor of that agreement found PPB violated its terms
in the crackdown on this summer's racial justice protests-- not because of
the force, but because of lax documentation.

Copwatch will soon publish a list of 2020 Oregon deadly force incidents,
which topped 30 this year even with the pandemic. We updated two web pages
showing top settlements in misconduct cases and Portland officers involved
in deadly force. We continue to run our incident report line
(503-321-5120) to help people navigate resolving complaints, and publish
our 3x/year newsletter, the People's Police Report-- see
portlandcopwatch.org .

*-Peace and Justice Works is also part of the JTTF campaign.

Help Us Keep Connecting the Issues, Connecting the Dots: Support PJW!

It's increasingly clear that the racism and violence expressed by local
police reflect how the US uses war to project its policies around the
world. Money spent on police and the military could instead end climate
change and ensure universal health care, housing, jobs and education. In
October, we and other Oregon peace groups asked Governor Brown to stop
sending the National Guard to wars overseas, noting several state
helicopters that might have helped fight wildfires were in Afghanistan
this summer.

We know that for some people, money is tight due to the pandemic. However,
we hope you can donate to help our small, all-volunteer group keep doing
this important work educating the public and elected officials. Please
donate funds and/or pay for an annual membership ($20-45 sliding scale) if
you are able. People can also get voting memberships by giving four hours
of volunteer time. Send checks/ money orders and/or items from our wish
list (portlandcopwatch.org/wishlist.html) to PO Box 42456, Portland 97242.
If you got the physical mailing, the date of your last donation should be
on your mailing label as "LD." Online one-time or recurring donations can
be made through Network for Good via the Donate tab at pjw.info .

We always appreciate everyone's contributions, whether it's letter
writing, phone calling, office help, promoting/showing up for events or
financial support. Together we will make the world a better place!